Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Did they say anything about aftermarket boost gauges or the grounding mod? I am just asking because those are my ...

Did they say anything about aftermarket boost gauges or the grounding mod? I am just asking because those are my only mods. I dont want any problems with warranty even though my mods add 400HP

I am concerned because I could barely wash my last car myself and the dealer would start giving me s**t. They tried to blame my aftermarket alarm for everything over the two years I had the car. I won every time, because I know cars and could defend my point, but it was always a hassle.
    Last edited by Lance; 01-22-2003 at 08:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lightbulb warranty issue.

If there's any major work that has to be done remove all the parts before you take in. I have a good friend that this happen to granted it's a ford svt but they wrote him a letter that his warranty was now voided due to a cam problem. He's talk to everyone except the owner of ford ! Needless to say he's a mechanic by trade so be prepared.

hmm, well i just got mine today and they told me to check with them for mods. If they Ok them and install them at the dealership they will actually back them with the warranty but of course you'll have to pay for the x-tra for the dealer to install em

Originally posted by 0260B4U
    If they Ok them and install them at the dealership they will actually back them with the warranty..
    That's actually a pretty good deal. Which dealership is this? A mod friendly dealership is good to know about.

I spoke with Mastro Subaru a few months ago and was told Subaru was going to become mod friendly.

While I don't believe it yet, it could be true. Please post your experiences as you go along.

X

Subaru of Jacksonville FL only one in town and the salesman said the actually have SCCA(mightbe right) meetings regularly

yeah your right. With STi coming to america along with the 04 STI's they really dont have much choice since they will be producing part for the cars they are selling.but we all know how much factory mods are gonna be

**** mopar is already producing stage 1 2 an 3 kits for the Neon SRT-T. 300 hp back by factory ? they better keep up
    Last edited by 0260B4U; 02-22-2003 at 06:40 PM.

Is there any Mod friendly Dealers In The Bay Area? Carlsen looks like It would be cool because the seel alot of aftermarket stuff there
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I went down to my dealer (Thousand Oaks Subaru) last month to ask about mods, expecting to get into a fight after reading all these threads. The dealer sells mods and had installed my Injen cold air intake the week after I bought it. At first the service manager said that aftermarket mods would void my warranty and he said that he didn't care about the MM warranty act, he said that if I started making 400hp, that of course things were going to fail and that they shouldn't be responsible. At this point I understood that we weren't communicating effectively and I started to laugh. Basically what I want is, at least while the warranty is still in effect, only to do the intake and cat-back exhaust while adding a oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things and maybe some suspension mods to fix that damned understeer. Basically he said that he hadn't personally seen any transmission problems and that they see aftermarket mods and warranty issues with a certain give and take. They said that if I brought the car to them to do the mods, they would tell me if any mod I wanted was going to void the warranty. That sounded like a good plan to me. One of the surprising mods that they would refuse warranty work on (after installing) was a BOV. The stated reason was due to sucking in air at idle and violation of (calfiornia) smog laws. I am pretty sure that they wouldn't appreciate turbo timers either, I really don't have any problem just sitting in my car for a minute letting it idle when I go some place so I don't really need one.

I can't really disagree with the dealer on what he said. I agree that there is a certain give and take with these mods. IMNSHO, No one should expect their stuff to get replaced for free after doing a ton of engine mods. A warranty isn't a blanket protection saying that there is nothing that you can do to your car that won't cause it to break. As the old line goes, "Speed = Money, how fast do you want to go?"
    Jordan Koch
    2003 Black WRX Sedan 5 speed
    http://www.digitalnoise.net/kochj

Originally posted by bedabi

3) Finally, most of the answers here will tell you to look for a mod-friendly dealership. There are more and more dealerships that offer aftermarket installations. Mine does, for example. And they appear to be the most reasonable.
    Hmm, you've been very imformative my man, but your thread would be all the more useful if you told us (me) who your dealer is!

Also, if Subaru goes out of their way to enforce this, I will buy an EVO next time around.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Mitsubishi is as bad as Subaru if not worse. It's not surprising since it's been postulated that the reason for the DSM's demise is lack of profitability due to fraudulent warranty claims...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

As everyone says the best way to launch a DSM is to drop it @ 5000+ RPM, I am not too surprised there were a lot of warranty claims.
    Jordan Koch
    2003 Black WRX Sedan 5 speed
    http://www.digitalnoise.net/kochj

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    Hmm, you've been very imformative my man, but your thread would be all the more useful if you told us (me) who your dealer is!
    http://www.mspt.bigstep.com/homepage.html

Just make sure they've installed it for you.

Reading all this is pretty scary to me...Im picking up an '03 on wed...and i already have a Blitz DTT and a pile of guages ready for it...crap. Fortunatly for me I have like 4 Subaru dealers nearby, so im going to go talk to them and hope one of them is cool enough to realize that an oil pressure guage wont break your power window...(or anything along those lines)

Good luck. the gauges probably won't affect your warranty. Is installing a turbotimer really worth it if your warranty may be affected?

X

Originally posted by MisterX
    Good luck. the gauges probably won't affect your warranty. Is installing a turbotimer really worth it if your warranty may be affected?

X
    Yea, Im definatly second guessing the installation now...again, reading all this hurts to think about because, to me, w/o the ability to mod there is no point in having the car...Not that im saying a TT is a mod, but I always figured you could quote M&M for somthing like exhaust.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.