Mobil 1 Syn Question

This is a discussion on Mobil 1 Syn Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been hearing of people with spun rod bearings while using Mobil 1 Syn. Has anyone heard of this? ...

Mobil 1 Syn Question

I have been hearing of people with spun rod bearings while using Mobil 1 Syn. Has anyone heard of this? If this has been a problem, which oil is the "suggested" oil to use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Hope not. I am running 10w30 right now. I had 5w-30 but it was running like ass in the heat.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by langridge View Post
    I have been hearing of people with spun rod bearings while using Mobil 1 Syn.

What indication is there that the oil was the source of the failures? If none, what colour were their cars?

Has anyone heard of this?

No.

If this has been a problem, which oil is the "suggested" oil to use?
    Check your manual for the recommended oil type and viscosity.

I've seen no data that indicates M1 is not suited for our motors. I've seen a lot of data showing M1 does very well in our motors. Here are some oil analyses for the WRX, and you can pick an oil for yourself based on the data:

M1 5W-30 over endless miles, great results and solid performance:
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...rue#Post776725

M1 10W-30 with short commutes (tough on oil):
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...rue#Post737547

M1 5W-40 Truck/SUV, now sold as M1 Turbodiesel (for my money, the best oil Mobil sells in the USA):
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...rue#Post255248

M1 10W-30 with 7,500 miles on it:
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...rue#Post240070

and so on and so forth.

You can repeat the search using your oil of choice as a keyword and get other info and chose your own oil with your own criteria.

Happy shopping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm with SD_GR.

Never heard Mobil 1 was the problem.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

i use the mobil, no problems so far

+1 I've been using M1/Royal Purple and haven't had any issues - changing every 3000-5000 depending on how dirty it looks and how often I get around to having it changed.

If you are willing to spend the money and a small amount of time, oil analysis is the way to go. I worked for a Limo company that performed oil analysis for a while instead of regular intervals for changing the oil. It saved them quite a bit of money - however these were mostly towncars and various stretches, most of the stretches have increased oil capacity. For a fleet it would be a no brainer in my eyes to do the analysis route.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals