AC Compressor Seal Kit?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AC Compressor Seal Kit? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX and have a bad AC compressor. My mechanic took it apart and said he can ...

AC Compressor Seal Kit?

I have an 02 WRX and have a bad AC compressor. My mechanic took it apart and said he can fix it with a seal kit but told me he can't find one anywhere.

I've been googling like crazy and haven't had any luck either but don't really know what to google for. Do you guys know where I can get a seal kit?

The compressor, I believe, is a Calsonic and the part # is 73111FE020 and the serial number is 0101100189.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

refrigerant leak

you may have a refrigerant leak that is causing your a/c to be unfunctional. does your unit run, but doesn't blow any cold air? i also have an 02 WRX (83,000 miles) and i currently have this problem. showing it to an a/c dude, he tried recharging the refrigerant for $50 - it seemed like alot of $ for a recharge, but it once i got in the car it seemed worth it. for about 2 days the a/c ran awesome - so cold it was almost freezing. but in just a couple days it would perform less and less until it would wasn't cold at all.

took it back to the a/c dude again. this time he tells me the line assembly from the a/c compressor to the condenser is leaking the refrigerant. the plastic clamp that holds the rubber portion of the line to the aluminum portion wears out over time due to the excessive temps in the engine compartment (it would have been nice if he checked for this prior to my dropping $50 on a recharge...whatever). he says its pretty common in WRXs. an outfit up here in vt (vermont sports car) takes brand new stock subys and strips them down to make them rally-ready (ken block and travis pastrana drive for these guys). they are cool about selling these stripped out "new parts" for a fair price. they say i should be able to get this particular part assembly for about $35. as for an oem part $? who knows - at a dealer the sky's the limit. and junkyard parts are oftentimes questionable - especially if they are prone to wearing out.

so if you are just having cooling problems rather the general non-functionality of the a/c unit, i suggest having this line checked. its an easy, quick and cheap check. if you find that you are having the same problem, shoot back and give me an idea of what you're getting quoted for on parts and labor.

I've had the exact same problem.

Apparently, there isn't the right kind of seal out there that will do it, according to the subaru dealer that my mechanic called.

I ended up just ordering the below compressor. It's the cheapest one I could find. Hope it's the right one for my car. Should be.

http://shop.autopartsfair.com/buy.ph...y=1&make_code=

If you end up getting that one, ask them if they can go any lower. He knocked $10 off the total for me.

thanks for the link.

i do hope you are ordering the right part - it does say its for the impreza, but i also see on the page that it fits the H4/2.5L - the 2.5 is the RS. chances are you'll be good to go, but i might be concerned if this compressor is compatible with the WRX H4/2.0L only because there isn't much space in the engine compartment for differently sized (larger) compressor.

but taking a step back for a moment: you mentioned you were having the exact same problem. have you checked the a/c lines themselves? i would make sure you're good there before dropping $200+ on a refurbished compressor. otherwise, you may be installing a fully functioning compressor that won't have any refrigerant to push into the condenser because the a/c system isn't sealed properly.

Well, the first compressor got here and it was the wrong freakin one. I noticed the 2.5L as well, but it was already too late and was hoping it'd still work out. I ordered the other one on their site and it should be the right one. It should be here this Friday, so we'll see.

What I should have said was that my AC has the same symptoms as yours, although that's very good to know, I'll double check with my mechanic about the lines. He told me it was the actual compressor though so I hope he's not screwing me.

Thanks for the replies.

Did you end up fixing your AC? What was the total cost if you did?

I ended up buy three compressors and the first two didn't even fit correctly. I went the dealer for the third and it fit and worked at first, but it's been two days and it's already not cold again. Makes me think I had the same problem as you all along even though my mechanic told me I needed a new compressor.

i haven't replaced my a/c line yet. i have hit up my contact @ vermont sports car a couple of times in the past few weeks for the part i'm looking for, but they haven't had one available. vsc is kind of hit-or-miss for parts. it all depends on what cars roll into their shop and when.

i hate having any aspect of my car not functioning 100%, but we have had pretty mild summer here in new england (the past few days it hasn't got out of the 60's), making it easy to be patient. plus, having plenty of other issues in life requiring copious amounts of funding, and not being willing to cough up $ on an oem part from a dealer has made my wait for the opportunity to score an a/c line assembly from vsc even easier.

sorry i'm not being much of a help on a parts/labor price quote, but i strongly recommend having your a/c system checked for leaks. if the dealer installed a working compressor in your whip, they should have checked your entire a/c system to make sure it was working properly. i would bring it back to the dealer and have them check it - the line from the compressor to the condenser in particular. since most dealers guarantee their work, they should cut you a break on a diagnostic of your a/c. they just may realize you don't need a new compressor but rather something else altogether.

if your dealer determines it's the a/c line we're talking about, you'll have to let me know what they quote you. when i ultimately get a part from vsc, i'll be sure to reciprocate with part/labor info too.

good luck!

Well, my mechanic couldn't find anything so I took it to the dealer and they found the problem right away...

It's the Discharge hose. They call it the high side hose she told me. It sounds like it's the same one you told me about unless there's more than one line to the condenser from the compressor.

They told me it'll be $400.50 before taxes. And $175.00 for the part.

I'm not completely sure it's the same problem you're having, but I hope that helps.

I wonder if that's just something I can replace myself or if it's really complicated. Know anything about that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out why it failed and where it failed first. If it failed due to rubbing or interference with another part, sort that out before spending on a new hose.

To replace, if there's refrigerant left in the system you need to go to an A/C shop and have it discharged correctly. You can then either buy the factory part with the correct O-rings of fittings or have one made by a shop, again looking for the correct O-rings or fittings. Don't reuse the old stuff unless it's the only option (and it never is).

The prudent thing to do is to then go to an A/C shop and have the system flushed and recharged with the correct amount of lube included. If you DIY, there's a sticker on the front top radiator beam with refrigerant type and quantity but you need to make sure the system is clean and that the freon includes the lube necessary as well.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hmm, sounds quite complicated. I guess I won't be able to do it myself. Do you happen to know how much an after market part would run for?

I Support ClubWRX
    It can or can not be complicated depending on the routing of the pipe (don't remember off hand how it weaves). The discharge/flush/recharge with lube part is standard MO. Size up the job and get some prices for parts and/or the whole deal, and go from there. First do figure out why it failed though, make sure nothing's interfering with it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.