are the subaru techs effing with me?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on are the subaru techs effing with me? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I feel like i'm on the troubleshooting page all the time lately... Here's the issue: I took my car in ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49

    are the subaru techs effing with me?

    I feel like i'm on the troubleshooting page all the time lately...

    Here's the issue: I took my car in for a misfire code (P0301) among other problems. One of them was this crazy shaking my car would do on startup. It never set off a CEL, it would go away once driving, and it would happen inconsistantly.

    Well, the dealership cleared the misfire code (and apparently didnt make an attempt to figure out what the cause was ), and then dropped a bomb on me.

    They claimed that i'm running "too low octane fuel..." I've never put in lower than 93, mostly shell v-power. When I informed them of this, they basically told me that either i'm lying or the gas isn't really 93 octane.

    What to do? grrrr...

    thanks for reading!
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    92
    I would try an alternate fuel and see if you have the same problem. Either Chevron/76 would be good choices to try.

  4. #3
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,206
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    I took my car in for a misfire code (P0301) among other problems.
    Are CELs P0302...4 among the other problems? IOW are you misfiring in more than one cylinder?


    Quote Originally Posted by 2006WRX4ME View Post
    I would try an alternate fuel and see if you have the same problem. Either Chevron/76 would be good choices to try.


    A genuine fuel issue might trip more than one CEL though. If it's just this one CEL maybe then:
    CEL P0301-04 need advice
    but I'm not sure either.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Are CELs P0302...4 among the other problems? IOW are you misfiring in more than one cylinder?
    The only code i got was P0301. So i believe it's only misfiring on cylinder 1.
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  6. #5
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,206
    I Support ClubWRX
    If it's only misfiring on #1 let's for the sake of argument assume the CEL is true, and #1 is either not getting fuel, not getting spark, or not keeping compression. Start with the simple stuff first and check all the connections and wiring on the coil and also check the spark plug. Go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If it's only misfiring on #1 let's for the sake of argument assume the CEL is true, and #1 is either not getting fuel, not getting spark, or not keeping compression. Start with the simple stuff first and check all the connections and wiring on the coil and also check the spark plug. Go from there.
    Sorry if i sound stubborn, but shouldnt the dealership have done that?

    The car only has 4000 miles on it, and it's been in the shop five times, three CELs and two other minor problems. Everytime, they manage to get it out without actually fixing anything.

    I've never done work on my cars before either (I know a lot of techs, and not much about cars, heh.) So I kind of rely on the dealer techs to diagnose and fix my problems. Is that wrong?
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  8. #7
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,206
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    Sorry if i sound stubborn, but shouldnt the dealership have done that?

    The car only has 4000 miles on it, and it's been in the shop five times, three CELs and two other minor problems. Everytime, they manage to get it out without actually fixing anything.
    This is a new car?! A new, stock car? Never mind anything I've said then.



    You're right, they're wrong. Insist they fix the problem. Bring them fuel receipts if need be. This is their problem, not yours.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is a new car?! A new, stock car? Never mind anything I've said then.



    You're right, they're wrong. Insist they fix the problem. Bring them fuel receipts if need be. This is their problem, not yours.
    haha, yeah, it's bone stock. I've been talking to a lemon law attorney (I hate to even think about it, but they've left me no choice.) She thinks I have a case, and the dealership keeps sticking their ground. Should be a fun few months dealing with this...
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  10. #9
    Registered User lordcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Abingdon MD
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    haha, yeah, it's bone stock. I've been talking to a lemon law attorney (I hate to even think about it, but they've left me no choice.) She thinks I have a case, and the dealership keeps sticking their ground. Should be a fun few months dealing with this...
    Have you been going to the same gas station for the current life of the car? At what mileage would you say the misfiring and shaking started? The reason i ask is because sometimes gas stations can have bad tanks that can last quite a while.

    Its a long shot, but i would start using a completely different gas station, consistently, (for the argument of random sample) and see if the problem starts to go away. If it doesn't, definitely keep the receipts to prove the stealership you aren't lying.

    And definitely don't put any mods on the car until this is completely resolved. Even a decal or sticker would give Subaru reason to blame abuse.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, Pa
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    Have you been going to the same gas station for the current life of the car? At what mileage would you say the misfiring and shaking started? The reason i ask is because sometimes gas stations can have bad tanks that can last quite a while.

    Its a long shot, but i would start using a completely different gas station, consistently, (for the argument of random sample) and see if the problem starts to go away. If it doesn't, definitely keep the receipts to prove the stealership you aren't lying.

    And definitely don't put any mods on the car until this is completely resolved. Even a decal or sticker would give Subaru reason to blame abuse.
    I am a delivery guy, so i usually get gas when i run out, and that can be anywhere in our delivery area. I've been going consistantly to about 3 different stations. I have only put in 91 octane a few times, but even that is what he was telling me to put in, haha.

    And so you all know, everything i've put up in this thread, i told the tech i spoke to this morning. It was like talking to a machine.

    Thanks for the help guys, and more suggestions are welcome. If the shaking continues, I will keep taking it back, it only helps my lemon law case, heh.
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    eprov rhode island
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    Sorry if i sound stubborn, but shouldnt the dealership have done that?

    The car only has 4000 miles on it, and it's been in the shop five times, three CELs and two other minor problems. Everytime, they manage to get it out without actually fixing anything.

    I've never done work on my cars before either (I know a lot of techs, and not much about cars, heh.) So I kind of rely on the dealer techs to diagnose and fix my problems. Is that wrong?
    all i have to say is SOA tell them you are going to involve SOA if your car is not diagnoised propperly imediately..they will assist you..if not contact SOA and they will intervene
    New England F4

    feel free to pm me with any questions..

  13. #12
    Registered User Feezor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    438
    My friends car broke down similar to this and the techs that he brought it too said that it was the gas he was using he was also using shell gasoline. The dealership told him not to use shell gasonline there are too many additives in it and it can hurt an engine overtime. I have never put anything other than 91 octane from chevron in my car an im at about 11,500 miles and not a problem like this at all i would. I would recomend switching to chevron or ANYWHERE but shell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •