noise in turbo spool
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on noise in turbo spool within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, can anyone help me? i don't know if this is the write forum to put this in so here ...

noise in turbo spool

Hi, can anyone help me? i don't know if this is the write forum to put this in so here is the problem.

When im driving and the turbo starts to spool i hear a clicking noise. What does that mean?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have an electric boost controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Do you have an electric boost controller?
    nah nothing has been done to it. its a brand new car with 700kms... im shattered.. have to take it back in for warranty if anything, just wanted to know what the possible problem is....

Banned
    is the clicking coming from the turbo? how loud is it? how frequent is it, does the frequency change with speed/accel? is it a click or a clunk or a grind?

If you're under warranty you should be ok. Just make sure there's no after market air fresheners or anything in your car ;-)

let us know what happens.

this will sound stupid, but make sure it isnt something in a door that moves around, or your keys hitting the dash or each other while hanging from the ignition. We have had customers that heard a noise only to find out that it was their keys, something under the seat, etc.

does the sound always happen just as the turbo spools? have you looked for anything loose under the hood?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    this will sound stupid, but make sure it isnt something in a door that moves around, or your keys hitting the dash or each other while hanging from the ignition. We have had customers that heard a noise only to find out that it was their keys, something under the seat, etc.

does the sound always happen just as the turbo spools? have you looked for anything loose under the hood?
    haha. I had my tire iron and jack out in my trunk after doing my swaybars, and everytime i turned hard i'd hear "CLING" and i'd be like "omg what did i do wrong?"... after seriously driving around for almost an hour, stopping looking under the car, tightening nuts/bolts and everything, it just hit me. "OOOHHH.... wow you're dumb" was what my mind told me.

So +1 to checking the obvious.

+1 on that..but also their is a bulletin on the dashboard clips..they hold the dash in place...ive seen many of them making a tapping type noise coming from the top right of the dash...its possible thats what your hearing..i dont know if the tsb applys to your car but even if it doesnt its very possible it is the same problem
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    is the clicking coming from the turbo? how loud is it? how frequent is it, does the frequency change with speed/accel? is it a click or a clunk or a grind?

If you're under warranty you should be ok. Just make sure there's no after market air fresheners or anything in your car ;-)

let us know what happens.
    it starts to happen when the turbo spools half way.. like a clickin noise.. sounds like a loose fan spinning... but yeah Im taking it in Subaru tomorrow to get it checked out, will let you know.

LOL, yeah i have checked if anything is around that could be the noise, but all good, found nothing, don't want to look like an idiot when i get it checked out haha

Banned
    just trying to figure out if it sounds like mine (which isn't under warranty... 20g here i come!)

i dunno. sometimes when it spools it almost sounds "dirty". not a tick or a rattle. But just think if there was a little ,peice of paper hitting a fan blade or something... like that... "Dirty" best i can describe it

Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    haha. I had my tire iron and jack out in my trunk after doing my swaybars, and everytime i turned hard i'd hear "CLING" and i'd be like "omg what did i do wrong?"... after seriously driving around for almost an hour, stopping looking under the car, tightening nuts/bolts and everything, it just hit me. "OOOHHH.... wow you're dumb" was what my mind told me.
    Haha, sounds just like my troubles last week. I had a mason jar full of quarters that I brought to a coinstar, then put the jar on the floor and it must have rolled under the seat. Every time I took off I would hear this horrible clanking noise and couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was. I felt so stupid after I finally figured it out the next day

The clicking noise sounds similar to what I'm experiencing in my car. Just before I can hear the turbo spooling (3000-3200 RPM) if I press the gas lightly I can hear a faint clicking noise, the best way I can describe it would be putting a playing card in the spokes of a bike. I asked around and most people agree that it just sounds like a loose turbo heatshield, hopefully they're right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.