need a new clutch

This is a discussion on need a new clutch within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i was just wondering if anyone know about how much a subaru dealer would charge for a new clutch ...

need a new clutch

hey i was just wondering if anyone know about how much a subaru dealer would charge for a new clutch (including install). Also if any of you have any recccomendations of any other clutches (with links if possible) that will work just as well or better for cheaper, then a place to get it installed.
    2002 Silver WRX, UTEC Delta, Greddy Ti-C catback, SPT intake + heatshield, STI gauges, STI doors + carpet, STI wing, Exedy stage 1 organic clutch + lightweight flywheel.

Bugeye Mafia #139

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    guessing, 5-600
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

that seems too cheap seeing as most of the clutches alone ive seen (exedy) on autopartswarehouse at in that range. then i would need an install, but if your right then WHOO *breathes a sigh of relief* because my guess was around 1000-1200 but i wanted to see what you guys had to say.
    2002 Silver WRX, UTEC Delta, Greddy Ti-C catback, SPT intake + heatshield, STI gauges, STI doors + carpet, STI wing, Exedy stage 1 organic clutch + lightweight flywheel.

Bugeye Mafia #139

Quote Originally Posted by Hando567 View Post
    that seems too cheap seeing as most of the clutches alone ive seen (exedy) on autopartswarehouse at in that range. then i would need an install, but if your right then WHOO *breathes a sigh of relief* because my guess was around 1000-1200 but i wanted to see what you guys had to say.
    labor alone is going to be 4.5 hours...which is 360 if your dealer charges 80 a hour...then your looking at prob 600-700 on the clutch kit itself...AND id also STRONGLY recomend you replace the flywheel and do NOT resurface it...you should do this because 1 the surfaces wont mate correctly do to wear from before..which effectively comprimises you clutch engagement...2 if you resurface the flywheel then you will not know where the heavy spot is because youll shave off the mark and also change the weight in the flywheel all together...if your pressure plates heavy spot and flywheel's heavy spot are to close together you will create a small(or large depending on how close) shudder..if you have a small shudder it will only get worse and worse until its unbearable...yes i know ive heard people get away with not doing so..but theres a 70% chance you will so you decide are you lucky...if not youll find yourself buying another clutch kit/flywheel ..could be imediately could be 10,000 miles down the road id go SPT on the flywheel..labor will only be like 40 bucks more and i believe the flywheel is 600
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

I Support ClubWRX
    i did state it was a guess
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

i know it was a guess. just saying, seemed cheap, and as far as the flywheel is concerned, wont the dealership take care of that if i have them replace it? and grand total i guess i am looking at about 1500 with flywheel and labor then huh. well this sucks. i gotta talk to my friend see if his dad can install it for me since he owns a shop. because it would be way cheaper for me to buy the parts myself and just have them installed.

Bugeye Mafia #139

Quote Originally Posted by Hando567 View Post
    i know it was a guess. just saying, seemed cheap, and as far as the flywheel is concerned, wont the dealership take care of that if i have them replace it? and grand total i guess i am looking at about 1500 with flywheel and labor then huh. well this sucks. i gotta talk to my friend see if his dad can install it for me since he owns a shop. because it would be way cheaper for me to buy the parts myself and just have them installed.
    well ive seen alot of crazy ish that other dealers do...claim to be and so on...like one that says your gear oil NEVER has to be changed becaused its sealed.... so just make sure where you go to tell them that you want a new flywheel...i mean its up to you but your going to get lots of people telling you that you dont need to replace it to "just resurface it"..or "it doesnt LOOK bad just put a clutch in" ...these are the same people that dont measure rotors before cutting them(or pad slap it)...the same people that put transmissions together with out checking all the shims and measurements or my favorite "you dont need to tourque that" .anyway good luck...you might find that aftermarket is a cheaper route..but be carefull what you buy...id suggest these

http://slowboyracing.com/estore/prod...cat=888&page=1

http://slowboyracing.com/estore/prod...cat=890&page=1
    its a good set up for street use at a very reasonable price
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..