~~Help Needed~~ No Fuel while driving~~
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on ~~Help Needed~~ No Fuel while driving~~ within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I was driving home from work today and i was merging onto the Interstate. I boost all the way ...

~~Help Needed~~ No Fuel while driving~~

So, I was driving home from work today and i was merging onto the Interstate. I boost all the way through 2nd, 3rd, and i go to 4th and my car dies. I pulled over to the shoulder and tried to start it, with no luck!! I have my car towed to my house and i took the backseat out and pulled the fuel lines off of the fuel pump and tried to prime the car with no luck. Is there some sort of fuel relay, or fuse for the fuel pump. the car cranks over but will not start. I really think it is the fuel pump. it is a walbro and i have had it in there for about 40k miles.
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey mate ive got the same problem did your car throw up a cel code?

my car runs but when u drive it, it stalls when ever it wants

ive replaced the fuel pump, air flow meter, and the fuel pump control unit at a major expence an stil no luck.... let me know if u have any luck

wow.. i hope i don't have the same problem. my car won't even run though. the motor isn't getting any fuel at all. all it does is keep cranking and never starts. I dont know if it threw a cel or not because my cel is always on (other mods).
    VF-39 Powered

bump
    VF-39 Powered

did you check power at the fuel pump? power comes from the main relay to the fuel pump control unit and then to the pump.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

yea, i just checked for power at the pump with a voltmeter. Nothing. where exactly is the main relay at? what else does it power? wouldn't other things be out too? or does it just power the fuel pump?
    VF-39 Powered

so does the power go from the battery > main relay> fuel pump? If so, where would i go about finding a new relay? Also, if the main relay went, wouldn't other things be gone too? Is there a relay for just the fuel pump?
    VF-39 Powered

i checked the wiring and there is a fuel pump relay that is only for the fuel pump controller and fuel pump.

start with the fuses and make sure they're still good

here's a schematic of the fuel pump system

and the matching wiring diagram

the relay is under the passenger side dash

the fuel pump controller & connector is behind the passenger side side panel in the trunk
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

wow man, awesome! i'll have to check those fuses tomorrow. the relay i ordered from subaru wont be here until next tuesday
    VF-39 Powered

Update

OK, so I checked the fuse box under the hood (MB). The no. 5 fuse which corresponds with the fuel pump was blown. I took a good fuse and put it back in there, turned the key to the on and tried to start the car. It almost wanted to start and then it stopped. I got out and checked the fuse again, only to find it blown. I then got under the glove box and disconnected the fuse pump harness from the relay and tried to put a new fuse in there and as soon as i turned the key to the ON position, it blew. I'm really hoping that the relay went out and i don't have some wire grounding out, or some other problem on my hands.
    VF-39 Powered

since you removed the relay from the circuit and the fuse still blew you have a problem after the fuse and before the relay. sadly this looks like you do have a wire grounding somewhere. have you had any stereo or other under-dash work done?
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

no, no stereo, just boost gauge and turbo timer, but they've been installed for a long time now. wouldn't the fuse blow if there weren't a relay in the system?
    VF-39 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18 View Post
    no, no stereo, just boost gauge and turbo timer, but they've been installed for a long time now. wouldn't the fuse blow if there weren't a relay in the system?
    sounds to me like you have a ignition problem..i have seen that happen once before..rare but it happens...also have you had a aftermarket alarm installed on the vehicle because that would be the first place i looked since they tap into the ignition wires...also your turbo timer wiring could be a prime suspect .how was it installed did you do it yourself..what kinda connections were used...maybe try disconecting the turbo timer..see what happens..it could be a fault inside of the turbo timer itself...good luck...hope my advice helped...also they have breaker fuses u can buy so you can install it in place of the fuse that way you dont keep poppin fuses...they come in rather handy in such a case...the fuse will pop if there is no relay because there is no where for the power to go...re install the relay and check any alarm/turbo timer wires...if those all meter out ok then id bet its the ignition
    Last edited by subarutech; 07-24-2007 at 06:48 PM.
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

would an ignition problem just happen out of the blue while driving? Would the fuse blow from having a bad relay? Is there any way to check and see if the relay is bad before installing a new one? I would hate to put the relay i just ordered in my car only for it to short out again. I really thought that it was just the relay because the fuse blew under the hood and not the one inside the car. I've checked all of the wiring and I didn't see any splices or loose wires. Also, there is no aftermarket alarm installed, just the stock subaru alarm. This all happened out of the blue. I changed my oil/filter the day before, drove to work in the morning fine, then on the way home the car just died.
    VF-39 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18 View Post
    would an ignition problem just happen out of the blue while driving? Would the fuse blow from having a bad relay? Is there any way to check and see if the relay is bad before installing a new one? I would hate to put the relay i just ordered in my car only for it to short out again. I really thought that it was just the relay because the fuse blew under the hood and not the one inside the car. I've checked all of the wiring and I didn't see any splices or loose wires. Also, there is no aftermarket alarm installed, just the stock subaru alarm. This all happened out of the blue. I changed my oil/filter the day before, drove to work in the morning fine, then on the way home the car just died.
    yes theres a way to check the relay...do you have a multi meter?
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.