Smelly A/C
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smelly A/C within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, Whenever I start using the A/C it smells for like the first few miles of driving and then ...

Smelly A/C

Hi guys,

Whenever I start using the A/C it smells for like the first few miles of driving and then it goes back to normal. I just bought the car and the previous owner told me that he had replaced the cabin air filter not too long ago.

What can I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

run the a/c on recirculating mode. where it draws the fresh air from outside. depending on how far you drive do it for a couple minutes every hour. i allways run the fresh air for like 2 minutes before i shut the car off,because it warms the coils down.that way it doesnt leave that musty smell.they also have a spray you can buy that you spray in the outside vents that goes through the ac duct that is like airfreshner for your ac. one more thing turn off your ac when you shut your car off,its easier on your compressor

Quote Originally Posted by 07BlUEbaru View Post
    run the a/c on recirculating mode. where it draws the fresh air from outside.

Recirculating mode = recirculates the air in the cabin and does not draw fresh air. Another item to consider, check the cabin filter and make sure it was replaced. Alternatively, a member "blarg" suggested a while back, placing a dryer sheet (with freshener scent) in the same place as the cabin filter. As the air circulates over the filter, the air becomes scented instead smelling.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

sorry. i mean draw the air from the outside in once in a while to get out the moisture from the coils.and do the same thing every time your about to shut the car off.that way it doesnt leave that musty smell.dryer sheet will work too.but they have stuff at the dealers that you spray in the vents.either or.still dont shut the car off with ac on. harder on compressor.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    ,because it warms the coils down.

QUE?

Quote Originally Posted by vik682 View Post
    Hi guys,

Whenever I start using the A/C it smells for like the first few miles of driving and then it goes back to normal. I just bought the car and the previous owner told me that he had replaced the cabin air filter not too long ago.

What can I do?
    ok so i dont know about the whole warming the coils down and outside air ..but i do know that they have what they call fridge fresh...you spray it in the vents from where it draws the outside air..it kills bacteria and such..also is sented...i would also recomend dropping your blower motor make sure a small creature didnt decide to nest in your ventalation system....while its down clean it with something..simple green or whatever you choose to use...
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    QUE?
    yea i thought there was something wrong with that picture
    Turbo Lag is just a courtesy head start.
    <==== dad's ltd. sti #300 of 800 (cobb stg 2 with TBE, spt intake and heat shield) magically fast!!!
    currently Stolen: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6sp. CAI, DC sports strut tower bar, STS, headers.
    currently pissed that it was stolen 2/23/08 @ around 1:30ish

looking for a wrx or sti really soon after May 4th. less than 60k miles and less than 20k

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    what they call fridge fresh...you spray it in the vents from where it draws the outside air
    Are these the vents located between the wipers and windshield?

i would also recomend dropping your blower motor make sure a small creature didnt decide to nest in your ventalation system....while its down clean it with something..simple green or whatever you choose to use...
    Where is this acutally located? Is there a DIY for this? I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to working on my car and the problem for now isn't serious enough for me to bring it to someone.

Thanks for the help guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    i allways run the fresh air for like 2 minutes before i shut the car off,
    I think what he is trying to say is, if you have been driving with the a/c on recirc, put in back on outside air (or even run the vent with outside air) for a minute before you shut off the car.

The belief here is that it helps prevent the condensation from forming and then sitting in the system. Moisture sitting in the dark warm vent system for a while, leading to the stank when you turn on your a/c the next time. I don't know how valid this belief is but I used to do the run the vent for a minute thing too.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

yes the vents are near the wipers...passanger side... and for the blower motor it is 3 screws..i believe 8 mm maybe 7 mm ..its on the pas side under the dash...their might be a cover you have to take off i forget if the wrx has a cover or not...the motor will have a 2 wire harness going to it..the harness will be on the right side of the motor..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

and that there vik is enough info to have your a/c smelling like cologne!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I think what he is trying to say is, if you have been driving with the a/c on recirc, put in back on outside air (or even run the vent with outside air) for a minute before you shut off the car.

The belief here is that it helps prevent the condensation from forming and then sitting in the system. Moisture sitting in the dark warm vent system for a while, leading to the stank when you turn on your a/c the next time. I don't know how valid this belief is but I used to do the run the vent for a minute thing too.
    Quite right. I have been very anal in equalizing the air masses from inside the HVAC to the ambient air before shutting down. I do it for at least a mile or so from shutdown. It really works. Trapped moist air will get moldy, mildewed and funky if left in the air ducts. Once the funk takes charge it is difficult to completely remove.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.