loud noises in valve train

This is a discussion on loud noises in valve train within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have about 1200 miles on it and if i'm driving next to a wall or something i can hear ...

loud noises in valve train

i have about 1200 miles on it and if i'm driving next to a wall or something i can hear this really loud tapping sound. i brought to work and had aor subaru tech look at it and he said it sounds normal. its annoying the **** out of me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have heard the same noise and was paranoid when driving next to concrete dividers.
    Keep the pointy end forward

Banned
    Time for a stereo upgrade

Seriously though you want to here noise take the rubber gromet out under the dash were punk kids run wires. It will sound like your car is going to explode.

I Support ClubWRX
    Its your wastegate, its normal commonly referred to as "wastegate Flutter". Drove me batty until I put an exhaust on.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Its your wastegate, its normal commonly referred to as "wastegate Flutter". Drove me batty until I put an exhaust on.
    well actually i have the spt cbe, and the spt intake. i hope that it is nothing. by the way when do you guys recomend going to full synthetic oil, and have any of you used Royal Purple?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 07wrxtr View Post
    well actually i have the spt cbe, and the spt intake. i hope that it is nothing. by the way when do you guys recomend going to full synthetic oil, and have any of you used Royal Purple?
    The CBE isn't what causes it to change, you need to replace the DP, then your ticking noise will change. The loudness of the ticking noise (my theory) is due to the stocks DP only having like 1/4 " clearance between the waste gate and a solid flange. It creates a "tick" before merging with the rest of the exhaust and flowing down the exhaust track. A bellmouth fixes this as the WG is now able to expel the gas down an empty tube, thus nothing to audibly "tick" against. The sound then changes to a fluttering sound.

Royal purple is junk. Doesn't meet Subarus rating recommendations and can void your warranty.

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

Synthetic is great stuff and last longer especially in CA climate, I find Mobil 1 5w30 (not the Supersyn) more than adequate and is available at Walmart $23 for 5 quarts.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

thanks for the info, you saved me from making a huge mistake

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 07wrxtr View Post
    thanks for the info, you saved me from making a huge mistake
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE