floor jack question

This is a discussion on floor jack question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone know if i will be able to use a 1.5 ton jack safely to lift the front of ...

floor jack question

does anyone know if i will be able to use a 1.5 ton jack safely to lift the front of my wrx? i have a 3ton craftman jack now but its too bulky and i was looking at some alluminum race jacks esp if i lower my car soon. i assume when lifting up the front of the car, the jack has to hold alot of weight because its pretty much directly under the engine. at least it feels like alot of weight. so basically my question is, will a 1.5 ton jack be enough to lift not just one side, but both front wheels off the ground safely?

thanks,

-nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 1.5 ton jack and only use it to lift the car enough to get my 3 ton under the car. Depending on which one you have it might even be too small to lift the wheels off the ground. Remember to use jackstands!

I rarely use a jack to lift one side off the ground. It is possible to bend your swaybar endlinks, or to bend the chassis pinch welds. Easier to lift the front or rear.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Well, a 1.5 ton jack is rated to lift 3,000 lbs. your car is about 300 lbs. more than that total.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

alright sounds good, what is it 1ton = 2000lbs i guess? i just think that i can never be too safe lol. i already have 3 ton jackstands so im good, i never go under the car without jackstands. actually i will always leave the jack a inch below the lift point when i work even with the jackstands on.