burning oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on burning oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey my friend has an 02 wrx that he recently purchased with 75XXX miles on it... he changed the oil ...

burning oil

hey my friend has an 02 wrx that he recently purchased with 75XXX miles on it... he changed the oil right after he got it and a week ago them one hose that runs to the wastegate came off and sprayed some oil out(not a large amount) this happened opne more time before he got it fixed it good ... today he said that when he gets on it a little bit it seems to put out some blue smoke... but not when he is driving normally only agressivly.. he said it was about a quart low on oil... he was wondering if it is normal to burn this much oil or not is 1 quart a month alot even with the hose blowing off? or is this a sign of much worse to come... ie having to have the motor rebuilt? any help would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1 quart a month doesn't sound unreasonable at all to me, especially when you take into account the small amount he spilled. Although I am a new WRX owner so maybe someone can tell you what's normal for our cars, but 1 quart in a month seemed pretty average in other cars I've owned.

As for the smoke, did the oil spill on the engine? If so it could just be burning off that spilled oil when the engine heats up.

the dealerships say 1 quart per 1000 miles is the limit!

but i have almost the same problem so i understand!

ahh

well today he took it to autozone and got the codes pulled and it had a misfire in cylenders 2-4 and the 02 sensor might be bad... so he bought new plugs and is gonna go from there

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.