Oil in the Intercooler

This is a discussion on Oil in the Intercooler within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 04 WRX with 60K miles. I just removed the stock intercooler and put a bug one on. ...

Oil in the Intercooler

I have a 04 WRX with 60K miles. I just removed the stock intercooler and put a bug one on. I noticed some oil in the cooler. Not enough to pour out but still very noticible. I use about a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Should I be worried?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Having a little bit of oil in the intercooler is normal, because there is a hose that connects from the crank case to the intake.
    Getting a Catch can is a good idea. Here is a catch can FAQ

Using a quart of oil every 2000 miles is a problem. Is it burning the oil or leaking?
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 07-18-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Having a little bit of oil in the intercooler is normal, because there is a hose that connects from the crank case to the intake.
    Getting a Catch can is a good idea.

Using a quart of oil every 2000 miles is a problem. Is it burning the oil or leaking?
    Not leaking. No smoke. Threw a rod at 45K and the dealer broke it down and fixed it under warranty. I noticed the oil use after that.

You should ask your dealer to look at it again, especially if itís still under warranty.
    Using a quart of oil every 2000 miles, is bad. It's got to go somewhere. If it's not leaking on to your driveway, then it's probably burning the oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tpan View Post
    Not leaking. No smoke. Threw a rod at 45K and the dealer broke it down and fixed it under warranty. I noticed the oil use after that.
    Why did you throw a rod at such low mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    You should ask your dealer to look at it again, especially if itís still under warranty.
    I agree. Make sure the PCV is connected correctly and see that there are no leaks onto the exhaust or turbo -- these could be hard to see as drips since the oil would just burn off.

Using a quart of oil every 2000 miles, is bad.
    Although roughly five times (5X) the maximum oil use I've ever seen from my motor in five years, it is still considered "acceptable" as absurd as that may sound. I'd still recommend complaining about it firmly until someone figures out what's going on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.