CEL question

This is a discussion on CEL question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today driving into work (in the rain) my 2002's CEL came on. The vehicle still seemed to be running fine. ...

CEL question

Today driving into work (in the rain) my 2002's CEL came on. The vehicle still seemed to be running fine. A few hours after I got to work I came out and checked it again, the light was still present. I checked the gas cap and have been looking through the manual when I can.

I'm wondering if this is somehow connected to the rain? How do I go about getting the CEL code checked to find out what the issue is? (preferably a non dealership solution)

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Today driving into work (in the rain) my 2002's CEL came on. The vehicle still seemed to be running fine. A few hours after I got to work I came out and checked it again, the light was still present. I checked the gas cap and have been looking through the manual when I can.

I'm wondering if this is somehow connected to the rain? How do I go about getting the CEL code checked to find out what the issue is? (preferably a non dealership solution)

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
    There are self-diagnositic connectors on all models, when connected with the key ON (engine off), flash trouble codes on the LED light of the oxygen moniter of the ECU.

The connectors are under the steering wheel, to the left of the module on most models.

Test Modes
    With neither test connector connected and the key ON(not running), the codes will display codes related to starting and driving.
    With only the "Read Memory" connector connected, historic codes will be displayed.
    With only the "Test Mode" connector connected, you can perform dynamic tests.
    Reading Trouble Codes
    The codes are displayed as pulses of the LED mounted on the module. Long pulses (1.2 seconds) indicate tens and the short pulses (.2 seconds) indicate ones. Pulses are seperated by .3 second puses and codes are seperated by 1.8 second pauses.
    Clearing Codes
    Codes will only clear when the faulty system or circuit has been repaired. After making the repairs, codes can be cleared by connecting 2 pairs of connectors, the "Self-diagnostic" connectors and the "Read Memory" connectors that are usually to the right of the diagnostic connectors.

Start with a warmed up engine
    Turn off the engine
    Connect both pairs of connectors
    Fianlly start the engine
    This should clear the codes.
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

CEL -Diagnostic connector / Reading error code via flashes

Hi All,

I know this thread was looking forward to retiring...
    ie. sorry to wake the dead, but;

I'm trying to identify which connector is which;

This is specific for a '02 wrx

In my car, I can only identify 3 plugs:

- I can see ONE Green set (two green connectors)
    - Then I can also see another white connector with 4 pins?

My questions:

- Can you read CEL error codes by a series of flashes on the CEL light

- If YES - how can you do this ?

- Do any of these connectors have to be shorted / connected when trying to pull the codes via the OBD connector under the steering wheel ?

My situation is that I have an ELM327 coming, where I will hopefully be able to pull codes via my notebook & the ELM unit.

I would like to see if what the error code is before the unit arrives if possible - by using the flash CEL method (IF this is possible)

Thanx,
    RexDownUnda

You said checked your gas cap I also have a cell code popping up every now and then its PO45 I think and when I read it with the port it says fuel emissions leak gas cap loose.
    Now I've been all over underneath it and made sure over and over the gas cap is tight. so I just keep clearing the code any one else ever heard of this or had this happen and have any idea what if this is gonna screw up the car at all? The car is currently set at stage 1 93 oct.
    any help greatly appreciated
    Cobb 2, megan header and up-pipe, catless turbo xs rfl tbe, and other stuff...