Which belts the missing belt?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which belts the missing belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I've recently bought a 95 impreza WRX turbo and was feeling more than happy with myself as I ...

Which belts the missing belt?

Hello all,

I've recently bought a 95 impreza WRX turbo and was feeling more than happy with myself as I showed it off to my machanically minded grandfather..

He sobered me up within 30 seconds by pointing out that a belt was missing to the right of the alternater!

There appears to be fixtures for 2 belts at the very front of the engine. One is present directly infront of the radiator but the one towards the right of the radiator is missing.

Could anyone please tell me which belt this is and what damage I may have done in the 50 miles already travelled from the sellers house?

Many thanks

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since the car runs it's likely an air conditioner belt that's missing. No harm done but your AC may not work even if you replace the belt.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Many thanks for your quick reply!

Time to have a chat with the seller I feel !!
    Just bought my 1st Scooby

Happy Days!!

I am not too sure about the earlier turbo models, but it should be the A/C compressor, facing the engine to the right.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Your both spot on... Its missing a belt to a compressor unit.

Out of interest (and possible compensation) why would the AC maybe not work with a new belt? Can this be repaired and what sort of money would I be looking at?

Cheers

Happy Days!!

Banned
    It probably works fine

I bet the owner took it off Honda Rice Style looking for HP. Anyone know how to change those AC belts out?

AC systems need to be run periodically (at least once a month) in order to keep them in working condition.
    If yours has been unhooked for a year or more it might not work at all, and you might have to replace the Compressor and other bits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    AC systems need to be run periodically (at least once a month) in order to keep them in working condition.
    If yours has been unhooked for a year or more it might not work at all, and you might have to replace the Compressor and other bits.
    Shows What I Know What about in the winter. Seems like iv'e went months before.

It's hard to say why the belt was taken off. Perhaps Not-EWRX is right, someone thought they could find a few extra ponies. To replace the belt should be cake. Are you in the UK?
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Yes chaps I'm in the UK.

Speaking of ponies... I used quite a few of them earlier

Many thanks.. the advice is really appreciated!!

Happy Days!!

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Shows What I Know What about in the winter. Seems like iv'e went months before.
    It's a good idea to use it for a few min. each month. Cold outside or not.

I'm not saying it's broken for sure. It's possible that he just needs to put a new belt on, maybe recharge the freon, and it's good. But I wouldn't count on it if it's been running like this for a long time.

welshboy, I hope it works out for you, and welcome to the Club!

Often times if the compressor goes bad instead of replacing it people simply remove the belt going to it and call it a day.

Throw a new belt on it and see what you got.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.