Misfire on acceleration...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Misfire on acceleration... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I'm new to Subaru's. I own a 2004 WRX, with only 14,000kms on it. I have a little ...

Misfire on acceleration...

Hi guys, I'm new to Subaru's.

I own a 2004 WRX, with only 14,000kms on it. I have a little issue. When I step on the gas, I get a shutter throughout the powerband. Almost like a misfire. Sometimes worse then others. The car also idles a little rough. I was told the plugs don't need to be replaced tell 100,000kms. I'm only getting 450kms to a tank, does that sound right? Any idea what to look for, it's still under warranty.

Thanks alot.
    Marco,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what are ur mods ?
    what kinda gas do u use ? cheap old gas station ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Any CELs? I would expect that a misfire that would cause symptoms like that would throw a CEL.

ODJ
    450K per tank is not unheard of, but it's definitely not great either.

If the car isn't running properly and it's still under warranty, then don't hesitate to head to the dealer and tell them to get it fixed.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

No CEL's yet.

I don't have any CEL's so far. I am running Sunoco 94 octane fuel, and there are no mods done to the car. The only thing is a K&N drop in air filter. Could there be a chance of a faulty coil pack with only 14kms on it?
    It's going in for a recall (cruise control) this week, so hopefully they can deal with it.

My car was misfiring on cyl. 4. I went to check the coilpack and the little clip was slighty off it. I poped it back on and now its fine. Check the wiring clips on the coilpacks.
    Sold the WRX bought a '06 Evo IX MR and sorry to say never looked back

Thanks for the advise, I'll check that out tomorrow, and hopefully that's the problem. I'm new to Subie's, I'm formerly a Honda fan. This WRX is an awesome car so far.

Thanks,
    Marco,

Quote Originally Posted by civic this View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to Subaru's.

I own a 2004 WRX, with only 14,000kms on it. I have a little issue. When I step on the gas, I get a shutter throughout the powerband. Almost like a misfire. Sometimes worse then others. The car also idles a little rough. I was told the plugs don't need to be replaced tell 100,000kms. I'm only getting 450kms to a tank, does that sound right? Any idea what to look for, it's still under warranty.

Thanks alot.
    Marco,
    Bulletin Number: 029705
    ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) UNION SCREW FILTER. IF A ROUGH IDLE AND/OR RPM DOES NOT INCREASE SMOOTHLY THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE UNION SCREW FILTER OF THE ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) COULD BE DAMAGED AFFECTING THE OIL

thats a likely cause...also you could have a clutch issue..does it do it more on hills..does it bog or just shutter..any notice in power loss...??
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Thanks alot, I'm going to look into that AVCS right away. I think the clutch is ok, it feels pretty good, I'm almost positive it's the engine itself. I don't notice it too much if I'm easy on the gas, but it is a really noticable shutter when I'm WOT. Mostly around 3-5k rpm's. Does the screw need to be cleaned or replaced? If replaced, what could have caused this problem? What exactly do you mean it affects the oil.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm a Honda guy trying to learn, this engine are so interesting.

Thanks alot for the help so far!
    Marco,

Quote Originally Posted by civic this View Post
    Thanks alot, I'm going to look into that AVCS right away. I think the clutch is ok, it feels pretty good, I'm almost positive it's the engine itself. I don't notice it too much if I'm easy on the gas, but it is a really noticable shutter when I'm WOT. Mostly around 3-5k rpm's. Does the screw need to be cleaned or replaced? If replaced, what could have caused this problem? What exactly do you mean it affects the oil.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm a Honda guy trying to learn, this engine are so interesting.

Thanks alot for the help so far!
    Marco,
    yes it can be cleaned..i ussually just replace them...do you have a stock clutch or has it ever been replaced??a clutch can be perfectly fine but if the heavy spots on the pressure plate and flywheeel are to close to each other you will get a shutter like you have....
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

The clutch is stock, and is the original with 15,000kms on it. I'm taking the car to the dealer on Saturday, it's still under warranty so hopefully they will take care of it for me.

Thank alot for your help.

if the previous owner used lotsa of octane boosters or leaded fuel. the fol could be the problem:

-spark plugs
    -sensors..

Ya True, enough octane will damage the iridium tip of the plug pretty quickly. I know they are $27 a plug, which isn't too bad. Hopefully when I see the dealer tomorrow the will solve it. It's just a little annoying when you hit the gas, and it's choppy. It has cleared a few gears with no misses, and it accelerates much faster and smoother.

Thanks for the tips,
    Marco,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.