i cant even get my CEL light to work

This is a discussion on i cant even get my CEL light to work within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an 02 WRX and it has been running just like a normal car without a turbo with no ...

i cant even get my CEL light to work

i have an 02 WRX and it has been running just like a normal car without a turbo with no or little boost. I do not have a boost gauge to tell me. i have searched the forums and you guys said check the CEL code. Well my CEL does not work, or the cruise control light which i know is another way my car tells me something is wrong with it. I have checked all the fuses i could find and everything works fine. (crusie control still works by the way).

Probem number 1: why does my CEL and CC light not work?

Problem number 2: when i pulled the code it said the sensor in the up pipe was reading hot??? not sure what the code is now. I have it written down somewhere. Your threads tend to lead to a problem in the cat? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for any help that you may give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

be a little more specific.. what mods do you have and stuff? I know this may not be something youd wanna hear but a CEL code from the EGT sensor in the up-pipe would lead me to believe that maybe your egt sensor broke off and went into the turbo or something since you are running with no boost?

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles? Any mods?

If the UP is running hot you could have sent parts of the UP cat into the turbo but this would more then likely make some ungodly noise.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

no mods. I bought it used and it looks like someone might have put it back to stock. no weird noises. can hear some sounds of the turbo. car not reallyrunning poorly, but no juice. Any idea where the CEL fuse is?

i have 123K miles. Just replaced sparkplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by techryano View Post
    i have an 02 WRX and it has been running just like a normal car without a turbo with no or little boost. I do not have a boost gauge to tell me. i have searched the forums and you guys said check the CEL code. Well my CEL does not work, or the cruise control light which i know is another way my car tells me something is wrong with it. I have checked all the fuses i could find and everything works fine. (crusie control still works by the way).

Probem number 1: why does my CEL and CC light not work?

Problem number 2: when i pulled the code it said the sensor in the up pipe was reading hot??? not sure what the code is now. I have it written down somewhere. Your threads tend to lead to a problem in the cat? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for any help that you may give.
    the person who owned it before you prob pulled the bulb for the cruise and check engine light so it wouldnt annoy him and he was either 2 cheap or 2 dumb to get EM the reason it says your runnin hot is prob because there is no cat..either a been gutted or b has a aftermarket up pipe..

as far as the turbo goes it could have burned up do to lack of EM which is the likely cause..but i would also check all the vacume lines and piping ...could possibly be a vacume leak...could also have a boost controller and its turned way down for whatever reason...and the most common thing i find is in the turbo oil supply line there is a filter it tends to clog..which leads to turbo failure...i would check your impeller see if its seized..look for score marks ect..
    my opinion is you get your car on live data somewhere.whether you know someone with a scantool..go to a tuner shop..i dunno how you subie dealer is wherever you are but if they have any techs like me they will be able to help..if your running hot your prob also running dangerously lean..dont take the chance have it checked out...and if need be get some EM ....good luck let me know how you make out
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

I will check the turbo and supply lines. I am pretty sure it is factory pipes, and also no boost controler. At one time the CEL/CC lights worked fine. Any idea where those fuses are? Could both bulbs go bad at the same time? I live in middle TN and i dont like the closest Subaru dealer. Thanks again for your help.

If anyone is still looking at this:

I still cant find the problem with no CEL light and CC light and gas level low light.

I looked at the waste gate lst night and when reving in nuetral back and forth from 2K RPM to 7, the waste gate did not move.

Does this mean the gate is stuck or the turbo is NG?

Please anyone any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    the person who owned it before you prob pulled the bulb for the cruise and check engine light so it wouldnt annoy him and he was either 2 cheap or 2 dumb to get EM the reason it says your runnin hot is prob because there is no cat..either a been gutted or b has a aftermarket up pipe..

as far as the turbo goes it could have burned up do to lack of EM which is the likely cause..but i would also check all the vacume lines and piping ...could possibly be a vacume leak...could also have a boost controller and its turned way down for whatever reason...and the most common thing i find is in the turbo oil supply line there is a filter it tends to clog..which leads to turbo failure...i would check your impeller see if its seized..look for score marks ect..
    my opinion is you get your car on live data somewhere.whether you know someone with a scantool..go to a tuner shop..i dunno how you subie dealer is wherever you are but if they have any techs like me they will be able to help..if your running hot your prob also running dangerously lean..dont take the chance have it checked out...and if need be get some EM ....good luck let me know how you make out
    Jeezuz

Let's take this step by step.

1: Do you have a boost gauge?

no boost gauge. From what i have read it seems fairly easy to put one in. I am still driving the car because other than go umph, it drives like a normal car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by techryano View Post
    no boost gauge. From what i have read it seems fairly easy to put one in. I am still driving the car because other than go umph, it drives like a normal car.
    The first step in diagnosing this is to find a way to measure boost.

Boost gauge installed. 9 psi at max. Checked forums... they say maybe pill... can feel pill in hose. I took the dash apart and cannot find any blown fuses for the CC low gas and CEL lights. Put air in intake and found a small leak at BOV. Tightened. Runs smoother, but no higher than 9 psi boost. Next step?

are you the original owner of the car?

I've known of people buying cars with problems (esp. with tuning) that had the light bulb for the CEL removed to hide problems.....you can pull out your gauge cluster and make sure the bulb is even in there and if it is, pull it out and power it up to make sure it works