A/C woes, what else is new
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A/C woes, what else is new within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not quite sure what's going on with my A/C. That whole feature of my vehicle has always been a gray ...

A/C woes, what else is new

Not quite sure what's going on with my A/C. That whole feature of my vehicle has always been a gray area for me.

Anyway, it doesn't work. Compressor doesn't kick over. It still spins freely if I spin it manually, there isn't a lot of resistance or anything, but it doesn't work/pump. If I hit the AC button, the light still comes on, fans still work, but the compressor doesn't come on and there's no noticeable change in idle or 'strain' on the engine as would usually happen.
    I really don't know if this could be electrical or have to do with belt tension or if it could be refrigerant levels or what. Like I said, a little clueless with AC.
    It stopped working basically when the guide/tensioner pulley took a **** on me. My belt ate all the way through the plastic on the old pulley, so I replaced my belts and got a new tensioner pulley. While I didn't know what had been going on with it until a little while later, I knew something was wrong because my ac obviously wasn't working. This leads me to believe that my refrigerant level is probably fine. To me, it doesn't seem like a pulley going out and the belt losing tension would affect the plumbing. But, I could be wrong as I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Having watched one of the periodic reviews on nasioc, they had a section on the ac and it clearly showed that when you hit the ac button, the compressor starts going. Mine doesn't do that, obviously. So I'm not sure where to start or what to do.
    I guess any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    The clutch

Interesting. never really thought about it. I guess that would make sense if the belt destroyed it. The tensioner pulley had somehow been in one spot, as the belt was being drug across it and wore it down to the bearing housing.

Banned
    I need to loosen my tensioner alittle. I figure A/C is on of those things you sacrifice when go stage 2. The load on the engine is insane. Makes my car run like ass.

Well I just went out and "spun it" with the engine off. There's some resistance, but it's intermittent. Kinda like it has kinda "spots" where it's hard, then you push some more and it goes into spinning kinda easily and then back to a tough spot, with not a lot of distance in between the two.

And if I didn't say "kinda" enough in that last post, here's another kinda.

Well the clutch kicks on. Just needed more tension. I can't tell if it's blowing cold or not though. I live on the coast and the air coming in is already cool. If I use the recirc it doesn't get any colder. So I doubt it's cooling the air.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.