2006 WRX overheating at idle

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX overheating at idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Tried to search for this exact problem before posting but didn't find it in the forum. Anyway, my ...

QFT

2006 WRX overheating at idle

Hey guys,

Tried to search for this exact problem before posting but didn't find it in the forum.

Anyway, my car is a 2006 WRX with manual transmission (doubt that makes a difference). Just bought it. It's nice and cool while running down the highway, but when it idles, especially in hot weather, it starts overheating. Normally the temp gauge sits at the first hash mark 1/3 up the dial... but when sitting in traffic or idling, it can easily climb past the next mark, 2/3 the way to the top. I haven't let it approach the red yet but I'm sure it would if I let it sit.

It doesn't take long for it to overheat either... a couple minutes and I'm up there. If I start moving again at a good pace, the temperature backs down into the normal range. Anyone know what's up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like an air flow issue. Does the fan cycle while idling? How about with the A/C? Make the sure the fan is operating; cycle on and off.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Registered User ArmandScBinWreX's Avatar
    im guessing water pump, ur going to have to check everything in the cooling system, obviously the cheapest part is the thermostat, so check that first, but just remember dont let the dealership do it if your car isnt under warranty, but if they are going to pay for it all let them figure it out

or there could be an air bubble in your system
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are at 30K or 60 K +/- 10K or so somebody may have incorrectly done the coolant service. I agree with WRX13oy: try burping the system.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    Hey guys,

Tried to search for this exact problem before posting but didn't find it in the forum.

Anyway, my car is a 2006 WRX with manual transmission (doubt that makes a difference). Just bought it. It's nice and cool while running down the highway, but when it idles, especially in hot weather, it starts overheating. Normally the temp gauge sits at the first hash mark 1/3 up the dial... but when sitting in traffic or idling, it can easily climb past the next mark, 2/3 the way to the top. I haven't let it approach the red yet but I'm sure it would if I let it sit.

It doesn't take long for it to overheat either... a couple minutes and I'm up there. If I start moving again at a good pace, the temperature backs down into the normal range. Anyone know what's up?
    id check and make sure the fans are hooked up...someone may have done a front cam seal/or timing belt tensioner which are both common for your vehicle..they would have removed the fans...ive seen a few cars with that problem due to half azz flat rate techs who rush their work....there is also i campain on the coolant fan relays..for the legacy turbo's but a few got put into the wrx theres no recall but there is a bulletin for it..SOA didnt feel it enuf of a prob to recall...so what i would do is check the coolant level of course..try burping it...if that seemed fine check the harness on the bottom of the fans make sure they are both hooked up..and if that doesnt work out try replacing the fan relays...theres only 2 and they are cheap enuf...better then the $80-$100 diag fee just to find out its 15$ worth of relays.....
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..