Subaru Reliability????

This is a discussion on Subaru Reliability???? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone. im new to this site and i am going to be investing in a subaru wrx very soon ...

Subaru Reliability????

Hi everyone. im new to this site and i am going to be investing in a subaru wrx very soon and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me anything as far as reliability? How reliable are subarus and how long before things start going out? ive heard great things about the ej20 but i just wanted to know what u guys know first hand. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums! In my opinion, WRX's are as reliable as they are taken care of. If regular maintenance is done, they are not modified extensively, and they are not abused, you can easily see 100-150k out of a motor. I personally am at 106k with just routine maintenance. Many will say that the transmission is the weak point of these cars, but it all comes down to how well you drive and how much you beat up on the car. There are plenty of members (including myself) with 100k+ on the original transmission, but then I also saw a thread yesterday about a kid who was getting his third transmission with only 13k on the car. These cars do not take well to abuse. Search around and you will find that, if taken care of, these cars are very reliable.

If you're shopping for a used model, I would strongly suggest getting one that has complete maintenance records and has not been modified. Good luck!

if you want a car you can beat on, get an sti hahaha
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

cool thanks for the advice yea i dont think i am going to be beating on it at all you guys know a good place i could find a used one? im in northern california.

Arrow

I need to change my spark plugs, got the iridiums, what are NKG??? Any tips you guys might have for me??

Quote Originally Posted by ewald929 View Post
    I need to change my spark plugs, got the iridiums, what are NKG??? Any tips you guys might have for me??
    If you mean NGK, that's a brand of spark plugs.

I'm sure there is a write-up of how to change the plugs on here somewhere, look around for it. It's kind of a pain to change on this car if you haven't done it before because they are so low in the engine bay. My best advice would be to make sure that you have plenty of extensions and u-joints for your sockets