Oil Build Up...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil Build Up... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just installed a downpipe this past weekend and while i was under the car i noticed quite a ...

Oil Build Up...

So I just installed a downpipe this past weekend and while i was under the car i noticed quite a bit of oil build-up on my tranny case. I thought maybe a bolt in the case was loose and causing a leak but they all seem to be tight. Could it be a seal leaking? I was going to rotate tires today and will try to take some pics when its up in the air.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It could be one of your axle seals leaking. Not an un-common item to leak on any car. Also could be the driveshaft seal also. Try cleaning off the build up with brake clean.( put some newspaper or carboard on the ground to keep from staining.) and make sure that it's very clean. Drive the car for a few days and get back under the car and look for a trail of fresh oil. Follow the oil trail to it's highest point, and that should be where your leak is.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    It could be one of your axle seals leaking. Not an un-common item to leak on any car. Also could be the driveshaft seal also. Try cleaning off the build up with brake clean.( put some newspaper or carboard on the ground to keep from staining.) and make sure that it's very clean. Drive the car for a few days and get back under the car and look for a trail of fresh oil. Follow the oil trail to it's highest point, and that should be where your leak is.
    I just started cleaning it off. hopefully ill be able to trace it back to a more definitive spot it seems like there are a few. it almost seems like one may be in the front it looks like the oil is blowing back and running down the bottom of the case. a few pics are below. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mttwrx38 View Post
    So I just installed a downpipe this past weekend and while i was under the car i noticed quite a bit of oil build-up on my tranny case. I thought maybe a bolt in the case was loose and causing a leak but they all seem to be tight. Could it be a seal leaking? I was going to rotate tires today and will try to take some pics when its up in the air.
    well i can see for sure that your right (passenger) axle seal is leaking..i wouldnt recomend doing it yourself,but if you do it is extremely important that the cover goes back on EXACTLY where it was before..its what set the backlash in your front pinion.if its off just a little bit your front pinion will be severly damaged..and they dont sell individual parts for the diff so replacement would mean replacing the whole front pinion set up ...there is a seal and a oring...replace them both....there is a specialty tool to take the cover off..but it can be done with a screwdriver and small hammer.just be carefull not to hit it too hard cause you will break the splines...if you do take it somewhere it should be a 1.5 hour job..

the small seapage you see from around that bolt isnt too bad but you can remove the the bolt..carefull the is a spring and check ball inside ..its what hold your shift rod in place when in a specific gear...but just remove the bolt clean it up a little and use some high temp rtv where the bolt seats and that will take care of it..

the leak in the back at the exstension housing looks to be coming from the seal between the housing and the transmissions main case sometimes theres a gasket there sometimes theres just a silicone/high temp rtv...the stuff the dealers use is fuji bond...it comes apart in 2 pieces the way back comes off..then the rest of it comes off...theres prob a gasket on the way back...if theres gaskets use them...its very important because if you dont use the gasket (if theres one there some dont have them) it will throw your center differential measurements off...you wont notice any issues till about 10,000 miles later when your center diff locks up...id strongly recomend having a SUBARU dealer do that job..and while they are in there have them do your shift rod seal also seeing as they are very comon to leak and it only takes a extra 2 mins to do that while doing the other things..the job should cost you around 2 hours labor..possibly 2.5 hours...and im sure if you do both the axle seal and exstension housing seals you could prob beat the price down a little it also wouldnt be a bad idea to have them refill the tranny with redline gear oil instead of factory..its exspensive but worth every penny
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.