help bad sounds
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on help bad sounds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car started making lots of noise and lost boost. I pulled the code from the CEL and it was ...

help bad sounds

My car started making lots of noise and lost boost. I pulled the code from the CEL and it was PO340. Has anyone had this problem before.

Shawn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that is a cam sensor code, it would explain the all the other problems to. you most likely have a bad cam sensor. good luck

So what is the sound of a piston slapping around in my block. Someone told me it could be the cam sensor slapping around but i lost boost along with power. there is no water mixed in my oil so i know its not a head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
    So what is the sound of a piston slapping around in my block. Someone told me it could be the cam sensor slapping around but i lost boost along with power. there is no water mixed in my oil so i know its not a head gasket.
    cam sensors bad...the cam sensor uses the cam gear as a refrence for timing..your most likely hearing your can pinging from inpropper timing control.....hence the loss of power....also check with your dealer i believe there may be a reprograming for that code...if so do the reprograming and the sensor..otherwise youll be eatting sensors on the reg..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

so this sensor is in my head some where. sorry for all the dumb question never worked on a boxer engine before.

cam sensor is located in the top front of the driver's side cylinder head on my 05 WRX, so it's probably similar to other EJ20x series engines. the STi block (EJ25x) has two cam sensors, one in the top rear of each cylinder head. year and model will help...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

i have a 03 wagon.

then it's definitely in the driver's side cylinder head on the top, it's near the battery

Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Cool I changed out the sensor and i am still making alot of noise. Does it need to be retimed.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
    Cool I changed out the sensor and i am still making alot of noise. Does it need to be retimed.
    scroll down and read everything i wrote about changing the cam sensor...also there is a possibility which is not likely... your cam gear could has defects in it.. its doubtfull but possible..could also be a wiring issue.. but ya go read what i said before...
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Well i did what i thought i did i blew the crap out of engine. chunks of piston in my oil pan.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.