Engine Misfire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine Misfire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having a misfire in Cylinder 1, 3 & 4 The dealer cannot figure out what is causing the ...

Engine Misfire

I am having a misfire in Cylinder 1, 3 & 4 The dealer cannot figure out what is causing the problem. The dealer has updated CPU. Now they think I need a new engine. Does anyone have any other ideas?

2003 Subaru WRX 110K miles

Stock (no mods)
    Last edited by bfreeman; 07-06-2007 at 11:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

EDIT: You added in no mods while I was posting... Check the plugs and coilpacks, when do you get misfires, at idle? normal driving? Flooring it?

For alot of people misfires are so common and can be caused by a few different things, that most people just ignore them. Unless they are warrantying a new engine for you, don't listen to that. Here are a few things that can cause it.

Spark Plugs, Coilpacks you mentioned nothing about cylinder 2, switch cylinder 2's coilpack out with say cylinder 1, see what happens, however I doubt all 3 coilpacks went up at 1 time. Light pulley (rare but it can happen), an oversize fuel leak(often throw with an evap code), Light Flywheel, Bigger injectors, injectors installed incorrectly(o-rings, etc.)

Good luck with finding your misfire.

Lee
    Last edited by LeeC; 07-06-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

There are no Mods. Fully Stock car. I checked the codes before I took it to the dealer and I saw cylnder 1 & 3 were missing. They say 1, 3 & 4 are missing. The Car has had regular scheduled services (including a new timming belt around 105K).

Miss only happens at low RPMs (below 3000)

Do you know how to change spark plugs on these cars??

Out of curiosity what dealer are we talking about??

And have you ever had any work done with your fuel system by them such as replacing injectors?

The Dealer is Roseville Mazda-Subaru. In CA

No work done on the injectors. Only scheduled maintenances ( Oil changes tune ups)

I have never changed the plugs on this car. But I assume it is like changing the plugs on any car.

It is the same as every other car just slightly more difficult to get to. Checking your plugs would be the first think you should do.

Lee

I just spoke with the dealer's service tech. He did check the plugs, they are fine. He describes the problem as an engine surge not a missfire. They did a valve adjustment and verified the timing belt is correct. The leak down test shows a issue in cylinder 1, 2 & 3 (not 4). They are now trying a compression test.

I still think it is an electronics problem (loose connection or bad computer) or a fuel injection problem.

one of my friends is a tech up here and he told me that pretty much he had one like that come in and that he reflashed the ecu. subaru is suppose to have reflashes is what he told me.. But the only reflashes they have are for misfires. mention something to them about the misfire reflashes or somethign to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreeman View Post
    There are no Mods. Fully Stock car. I checked the codes before I took it to the dealer and I saw cylnder 1 & 3 were missing. They say 1, 3 & 4 are missing. The Car has had regular scheduled services (including a new timming belt around 105K).

Miss only happens at low RPMs (below 3000)
    if cyl # 2 has no problem switch the injector from to with with another 1 or 3..see if the codes change..injectors are a known problem with these vehicles... be carefull though when you switch the injectors make sure you install them the same EXACT way they came out..there is a specific spray pattern..installed improperlly may cause a lean or rich running condition...
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.