synthetic oil change?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on synthetic oil change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my 2004 WRX and I have to say I love this car!! I've been told to put ...

Question synthetic oil change?

I just got my 2004 WRX and I have to say I love this car!! I've been told to put only synthetic oil in this car and I did so today using Mobil 1. I wanted to know if its true that you can change this oil every 7500 miles?? I heard that ppl that use synthetic oil still do every 3000 miles too. Just wanted to know what would be better or maybe what most of you on here would rather do. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer420 View Post
    II wanted to know if its true that you can change this oil every 7500 miles??
    I certainly can. Whether you can will depend on your use of the car and the oil you chose. To figure it out I did used oil analysis, and the data showed I can easily go to 7500 mi per oil change. Here's my data:

Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor

Since you have a later car though you need to see if you are affected by the latest Subaru oil drain interval TSB (EDIT TO CLARIFY: 2.0L US market cars are not affected by this issue as far as I can tell):

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

You should also see if your warranty is in effect and go from there.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-06-2007 at 12:44 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Excellent reading. Thanks for the links. As with most info posted to car guys, it brings up another question:

What are "banjo bolts?" I did some searching, and I can find people talking about them, but I can't really find a definitive answer on what they actually are, where they are (I understand somewhere in the heads), etc.?

I have an '04 STi with the original motor, so some of the info I've read has me a little worried. I've been doing 5k oil changes with 5w30 Mobil 1, so hopefully that's enough.

Any info on what banjo bolts are is much appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    Banjo bolts are end fittings for hydraulic lines. They are often found at the end of oil lines, power steering lines, or brake lines. One example is the oil feed line to the turbo. The links (I think) provide photos for the bolts with the screen (it may be a link in a link). I have a 2L motor so am sticking to 5,000-7,500 mi oil drains myself.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I get it now. I guess I'm a little slow

I followed a link, read a thread, followed another link, etc., and found a nice breakdown of the engine where someone labelled the bolts on nasioc. Not to beat a dead horse, but putting a screen in those things doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean, the engine already has an oil filter, so why put screens up at the extremeties of where the oil needs to reach? Logically, it would make sense that they'll eventually clog and then parts upstream from them will starve for oil. If the oil is gelling, I'd rather have the globs make their way back to the oil pan or filter.

Well, if these things cause my engine to fail, I'll look for an aftermarket builder that takes the issues with these into account.

Thanks again for the info.

I Support ClubWRX
    What 302 and I were discussing a bit is whether aftermarket "builders" actually do take these issues into account, and what might explain failures seen in aftermarket motors. My working theory was that the gurus steam clean the lines, bless them, and ring up the bill but I hope I am wrong.

I think Subaru have not exactly been top notch about all this either frankly. OK, everybody makes mistakes. What sets a progressive company apart is how they react to the mistakes. Instead of doing everything possible to extend maintenance intervals (the ideal of course being a motor with no required maintenance whatsoever!) and in a time when all their competitors are doing everything possible to extend maintenance intervals, Subaru is decreasing their maintenance interval due to a mistake they've made. This passes on costs to the end user (the customer) and wastes both time and resources, while conveniently increasing dealer profits...

I'd like to see them recall all affected cars and implement a solution but then again I'd also like to see world peace.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd like to see them recall all affected cars and implement a solution but then again I'd also like to see world peace.
    And I'd like to see Paris Hilton sentenced to life in prison for public annoyingness, but we can't have everything...

That thread between you and 302 was very interesting. For what it's worth, I completely agree with your conclusion on SOA. That's the type of stuff GM used to do that got them a reputation for poor quality. They would make inferior designs, and when they noticed the problem, the solution was either to tell the customer the vehicle was abused, or start charging for more maintenance. I hope you're wrong about the aftermarket builders, but something tells me a lot of them do exactly what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. I get it now. I guess I'm a little slow

I followed a link, read a thread, followed another link, etc., and found a nice breakdown of the engine where someone labelled the bolts on nasioc. Not to beat a dead horse, but putting a screen in those things doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean, the engine already has an oil filter, so why put screens up at the extremeties of where the oil needs to reach? Logically, it would make sense that they'll eventually clog and then parts upstream from them will starve for oil. If the oil is gelling, I'd rather have the globs make their way back to the oil pan or filter.

Well, if these things cause my engine to fail, I'll look for an aftermarket builder that takes the issues with these into account.

Thanks again for the info.
    are you talking about the screens for the oil supply line for the turbo??
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    are you talking about the screens for the oil supply line for the turbo??
    Follow
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=oil+tsb
    and
    http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58023
    for the full story.

There is also TSB 02-97005 for 2.5L turbo AVCS union screw filters that you'll have access to. This filter was eliminated in 04/2005+ production. See
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/att...2&d=1131460148
    but since 04/2005 the filter is in the feed line to the head, meaning more digging. In the following thread, post 9 (nine) shows the banjo bolts in question in red:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=oil+tsb

ORIGINAL POSTER: We're off track by now but if you have a 2.0L and lack AVCS etc. you needn't worry about all this. Do an oil analysis to see if your chosen motor oil can handle 5,000 or 7,500 mile intervals, or whatever your manual dictates (read the manual for intervals). Or be ultra-safe and change earlier. I don't, but I'm sure it's OK for my motor, oil, and use.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-06-2007 at 11:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.