AC belt issue

This is a discussion on AC belt issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I finally decided it was time to change my accessory belts. I have almost 80K miles on my '02 and ...

AC belt issue

I finally decided it was time to change my accessory belts. I have almost 80K miles on my '02 and figured it was due. I was able to get the power steering/alternator belt on without much trouble. Unfortunately, while working on the AC belt, I broke the washer on the idler pulley (the one that connects to the slider bolt and allows the pulley to move up and down in the bracket). I went to every part store in town and none of them could even order it for me. I'm going to get ahold of Subaru Genuine Parts in the morning and order a new one.
    My question is, is it safe driving around without the AC belt on? I'm pretty sure that it is since that belt only runs the AC. I just won't have any AC right?
    Thanks for the help.

psycho
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you'll be ok for a limited time. I wouldn't want to leave it like that though, because the crank pulley gets tugged in all different directions by the belts, and too much tension in one direction for a length of time will pull it harder in that direction and put extra stress on the bearings.

The AC belt only matters when the compressor kicks on, so as long as you don't try to turn on your AC, the car shouldn't even notice.

I understand what you're saying about getting pulled in a different direction, but haven't people removed their AC units completely? They still have to have the other belt going to the alternator/power steering pump. I'm just getting ready to take a trip and I want to know if I'm safe to do so.
    Mods

Yeah, some people remove it altogether, but I don't think I would. Maybe I'm just paranoid...

You're fine with leaving it off. You're AC won't work, but that won't be much trouble.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Sometimes I still think I'm driving an old chevy. The way the water pumps were setup on old small blocks, you had to have even tension in all directions. If a belt pulled left, you needed another belt pulling right or the uneven tension would wear out the water pump bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    I finally decided it was time to change my accessory belts. I have almost 80K miles on my '02 and figured it was due. I was able to get the power steering/alternator belt on without much trouble. Unfortunately, while working on the AC belt, I broke the washer on the idler pulley (the one that connects to the slider bolt and allows the pulley to move up and down in the bracket). I went to every part store in town and none of them could even order it for me. I'm going to get ahold of Subaru Genuine Parts in the morning and order a new one.
    My question is, is it safe driving around without the AC belt on? I'm pretty sure that it is since that belt only runs the AC. I just won't have any AC right?
    Thanks for the help.

psycho

your completely safe without it as long as you want...my opinion remove the whole ac system its extra weight haha
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

I might consider it, but my wife and future children would hate me.
    Mods

Would you be able to tell me how you found that part that broke. I just broke mine in the same manner that you talked about. Would you please let me know where you found a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioprophets22 View Post
    Would you be able to tell me how you found that part that broke. I just broke mine in the same manner that you talked about. Would you please let me know where you found a replacement.
    https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=830

theres one place you can go
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by Audioprophets22 View Post
    I wish I could remember the exact part number. It was a real pain getting the right part though. If I were you, I would just go to a Subaru dealer in person.
    Mods

My car just recently started the whole "supercharger" whining sound and did my research here and on nasioc. Just got off the phone with my local Subaru dealer and they gave me the part numbers for the AC Idler pulley & AC belt.

AC Idler Pulley #73131FC000
    AC Belt #73323AC000
    just for reference:
    Alternator Belt #809218160
    Timing Belt #1302888240

Had to special order the pulley, so I'm waiting on that to come in.
    what?

Belts

I am going to replace all the belts on my 02 WRX. Should I stay with subaru parts or order something aftermarket.

Suggestions?

Thanks

I think the prices were rather close, I just stuck with the subaru parts. I paid $72 for the pulley & 2 belts (not timing belt, didn't purchase it)
    what?

Timing Belt

I just went to the subaru parts for you website and I see this part # for the timing belt:

Timing belt 13028AA240

Looks like the 88 is replaced with AA. Here is the link:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...php?partid=601

Do you think its the same one?

Thanks