Torn Axle boot, need advice

This is a discussion on Torn Axle boot, need advice within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a little situation here and I am not sure quite how to go about it, so any advice ...

Torn Axle boot, need advice

I have a little situation here and I am not sure quite how to go about it, so any advice would be very helpful. Also, if this is in the wrong forum, mods, please move it to where it should be.

Two weekends ago I installed new springs on the wrx, everything went fine except that one bolt was cross threaded, the lower bolt on the front right strut. I drove it to the dealership the next day and dropped it off with them asking them to strip off the bolt and replace it. They didn't have a blot in stock so they had to keep it there overnight while they overnighted a replacement bolt for me. I got my car back and everything seemed in order.

On Monday I noticed that my parking break light was on all the time. At first I thought it was just an electrical thing but figured that I should search on it and see if there is a real problem. From one of the threads here it said that my break fluid might be low. I made a note of it to check the fluid levels. I drive very little during the week, maybe 10-25 miles at the most so I wasn't quite as diligent as I should be since my driving is infrequent. I checked my fluid levels this weekend, it was very very low which was alarming. I checked the wheels and my front right wheel is covered in axle grease and my caliper is leaking fluid.

Upon inspection the axle boot is torn right where the clamp is, has thrown tons of axle grease all over the inside of my wheel and calipers, which I can only assume has damaged the calipers to the point where they are leaking fluid.

My question is, could any of the work that we did to replace the springs cause this problem. My installer said that he was very careful to not hit the boots while we were doing the springs and that he is sure that there was no contact between the two of them and that could be the only way that it would happen. He seems to thing that the dealership may have hit it with a tool while they were trying to remove the bolt and not noticed or not said anything.

If I take it back, stating that they caused it, do I have a leg to stand on? I know the whole you gotta pay to play deal and I'm fine with that if I did legitly cause the issue. Any thoughts?

I have pics, but my mac doesn't do images resizing (wtf) so I'll have to post those when I can get to a PC.

Thanks in advance from anyone who replies.
    Last edited by Tek-Fox; 06-30-2007 at 07:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Usually, if that cv boot is torn, you'll need a new cv joint. Once any little bit of grit gets in there, you're pretty much screwed.

I think it could be either the installer or the dealer replacing the bolt. When the strut was removed, it could have caught on the boot and torn it. Or, the dealer could have cut it if they cut the cross-threaded bolt off.

I guess there is no easy answer. It could have been either. No matter who hit it, you'll need to get the cv joint replaced, which won't be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    Usually, if that cv boot is torn, you'll need a new cv joint. Once any little bit of grit gets in there, you're pretty much screwed.

I think it could be either the installer or the dealer replacing the bolt. When the strut was removed, it could have caught on the boot and torn it. Or, the dealer could have cut it if they cut the cross-threaded bolt off.

I guess there is no easy answer. It could have been either. No matter who hit it, you'll need to get the cv joint replaced, which won't be cheap.
    Thanks for the reply. Replacing the CV joint being replace is a definite possibility, and I'm planning for that as well.