How important is the rear o2 sensor?

This is a discussion on How important is the rear o2 sensor? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i put my new turbo in, but forgot to put the rear o2 sensor in, and it has been ...

How important is the rear o2 sensor?

So i put my new turbo in, but forgot to put the rear o2 sensor in, and it has been ground into a nub, do i need a new one or can i just plug that bish?

PS when i'm running race fuel in a few months i can't have them in anyway, can i?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it's only used for the OBDII compliance to monitor the health of the cats, since it's ground into a nub and the PCM hasn't noticed yet (it should notice though) you may be fine, until you need to smog it. in the long run buying a new one is the best idea, it's just a boring regular O2 sensor so it shoudn't be too expensive.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

or you can just use that spot for a wbo2 and use your tuning software to tell it not to popup the code for the rear o2, since you have a bigger turbo i'm assuming you did this already
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2.5 93OCT- 12.9 SEC @ No Problem Raceway
    Mods

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hakira View Post
    or you can just use that spot for a wbo2 and use your tuning software to tell it not to popup the code for the rear o2, since you have a bigger turbo i'm assuming you did this already
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hakira View Post
    codes were killed long before the sensor, i wonder if i can find a longer cable to run the lc-1 to that spot so its further from the turbo...