Any ideas what could cause this ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any ideas what could cause this ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 06 STi. Last fall I had a lot of upgrades done including a Walbro fuel pump. Ever ...

Any ideas what could cause this ?

I have an 06 STi. Last fall I had a lot of upgrades done including a Walbro fuel pump. Ever since then I've noticed it takes fuel VERY slowly. It doesn't matter where or what pump, I have to barely crack the lever to keep it from cutting off. It's also noticeably worse the hotter the weather.

Could there be a pinched vent line ? Have any of you guys ever heard of such a problem ? Help me out if you can. Thanks, Okey
    2006 Black Mamba - 20G and lots more !

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, there could be a pinched vent line. I've found "hard to fill" issues are usually caused by problems in the evap system.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Yes, there could be a pinched vent line. I've found "hard to fill" issues are usually caused by problems in the evap system.
    Could you elaborate a little more ? Where is the evap. system located ?

I Support ClubWRX
    It is underneath the car usually...it will be a charcoal canister and a few lines. Hard to identify though. Have you contacted the folks who put in the fuel pump and asked them to resolve the issue?

I had an older truck that did this and it drove me up the wall. It was the evap system on this and the solution was to YANK IT OUT!!! But I could do it as it had reached "classic" status.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

[QUOTE=YBNormal07;1973738]It is underneath the car usually...it will be a charcoal canister and a few lines. Hard to identify though. Have you contacted the folks who put in the fuel pump and asked them to resolve the issue?

The place that did the work is 4 hours away. I would prefer to resolve it myself if I can.

Is there a vent line where the pump assy. goes in the tank that could be pinched ? Or where should I start ? Thanks guys for all the response. On another forum I got 10 responses. 2 were useless flames, and the other 8 were telling me it's the gas pump, not my car !

The only other thing I know of is people have had issues with the little filter on the pump itself. Some people actually use the old filter that was on the original pump because they run into flow issues. I have not had this problem personally, but I did see it in another STi one time, an 05. Just another avenue if the first doesn't pan out. Do you have a stab in or any way to gauge the feul pressure?
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Okeyd57 View Post
    The place that did the work is 4 hours away. I would prefer to resolve it myself if I can.

Is there a vent line where the pump assy. goes in the tank that could be pinched ? Or where should I start ? Thanks guys for all the response. On another forum I got 10 responses. 2 were useless flames, and the other 8 were telling me it's the gas pump, not my car !
    The evap vent lines will run under the body by the fuel tank- I would start w/ a visual inspection... If you can't see it, the only way I know to test for leaks is by using a smoke tester. I would probably go to a shop if the damage isn't obvious.
    Last edited by devilfluff; 06-27-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Banned
    [quote=Okeyd57;1973781]
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    It is underneath the car usually...it will be a charcoal canister and a few lines. Hard to identify though. Have you contacted the folks who put in the fuel pump and asked them to resolve the issue?

USER ERROR

mach 5 = your problem
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are a number of reasons that can cause a slow fill rate. The vast majority are associated with the evaporative emissions. It will be the vent line from the filler neck, the carbon canister, the outlet vent from the carbon canister, or even the vent valve. You'll have to crawl under the car and start looking. Find any open line and trace it back. This will lead you to the canister eventually. My bet is the vent line is kinked or plugged or the drain valve or filter is blocked. Here is a diagram for those techies interested:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EG(H4)EVAP.jpg  
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

totally an EVAP line having issues... pull up the back seat where the fuel pump is located & check the lines at the pump, its probably something in there
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Quote Originally Posted by Okeyd57 View Post
    I have an 06 STi. Last fall I had a lot of upgrades done including a Walbro fuel pump. Ever since then I've noticed it takes fuel VERY slowly. It doesn't matter where or what pump, I have to barely crack the lever to keep it from cutting off. It's also noticeably worse the hotter the weather.

Could there be a pinched vent line ? Have any of you guys ever heard of such a problem ? Help me out if you can. Thanks, Okey
    you could have a sticking roll over valve...its inside the filler pipe at the bottom where the hose meets the metal filler neck..ive seen 2 sti's with that same problem..valve doesnt open fully and thus causes the filler to overflow...id check there first..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    you could have a sticking roll over valve...its inside the filler pipe at the bottom where the hose meets the metal filler neck..ive seen 2 sti's with that same problem..valve doesnt open fully and thus causes the filler to overflow...id check there first..

Thanks for all the replies, but this one sounds like a great place to start !

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    kewl...where do you access this at? through the fill hole? Do you have a pic or schematic of this?

BTW...don't light your fill hole with a match....use a flashlight
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 06-28-2007 at 05:34 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    kewl...where do you access this at? through the fill hole? Do you have a pic or schematic of this?

BTW...don't light your fill hole with a match....use a flashlight
    at the bottom of the fill pipe..underneith the car..where the tank hose and filler neck hose meet...just disconect the rubber hose from the metal and you will see a little plastic piece inside the metal filler..the only reason the valve is there is in case you roll over your vehicle the gas cant leak out..its a one way valve set up..hense the name roll over valve
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast