Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67

This is a discussion on Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car: 2002 WRX, 74,000 miles. According to service report no clutch/transmission work done ever. So I got my 2002 WRX ...

  1. #1
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65

    Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles)

    Car: 2002 WRX, 74,000 miles.
    According to service report no clutch/transmission work done ever.

    So I got my 2002 WRX something like 4 weeks ago. So far I've driven it a little over 1500 miles. Over the last week or so I noticed a pulsating or almost rattling when I shift the car out of gear to slow down and stop. (I was advised by a couple mechanics I've talked to that just shifting into N and braking is safer than downshifting down when you're learning).

    I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from (It's got a 3000 mile 60day warranty) and all they did was check the breaks which they decided to resurface. Got the car back, the problem's not gone. So I bring it into a Monro shop closer to my house and they take it for a spin. As soon as he gets back the machanic tells me my clutch is shot, that in first gear it catches for a bit then the tach just goes AWOL. They also say my breaks are shot.

    Now, my question is, is it at all reasonable to think a clutch could get nuked in less than 2000 miles? I mean, I drive fast but I'm not exceptionally hard on my vehicle. I haven't raced, dropped the clutch, or any nonsense like that. I've only miss-shifted a couple times but that was earlier on in my learning. Would most reputable dealer warranties cover a shot clutch so soon? I've talked to some people I know that drive standard, and they tell me it's nearly impossible to destroy a perfectly good clutch so soon.

    This car was only on the lot a total of like 4 days, 2 being a weekend. I got it the day after it got traded in. I'm wondering if the dealer just didn't take the time to maintenance it themselves.

    Ideas/suggestions/opinions w/e would be great. I'm kinda stressing over this at the moment... If I have to pay for it it's going to severely put back my timetable on going Stage 2!
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Great Salt City of Utah
    Posts
    0
    It's definatly possible. 02 are knoon for having transmission issuses. The clutch on a WRX is very sticky and easy to burn up.

    I have launched my a couple of times leting the clutch slowly slip out at 4k+

    I think I hurt it.

    My car kind of lurches and jerking into motion in the 1st and 2nd gears.

    All in all I would just drive it tell it goes. If, of course, that is what is wrong with your car. By what you have discribed the tranny could be the cause of your problem as well.

    Is the clutch not grabing or are you hving troubles ****ing in and out of gears?

  4. #3
    ODJ
    ODJ is offline
    Registered User ODJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    357
    Well, that kinda sucks. I doubt the 1.5K miles you've driven it have much to do with the clutch going out, but I'm guessing that the other 74K miles might.

    There's really no telling how the car was treated before it came to be yours. Overall, I don't think 74K miles is a completely unreasonable lifespan for a clutch. I know there are plenty Subaru clutches that have lasted longer, but again it's hard to say what sort of action YOUR clutch has seen.

    I doubt any car lot is going to replace a clutch on a used car unless they absolutely have to (and maybe not even then). You should definitely see what they have to say about their warranty/guarantee. Maybe you can get them to fork over the cost of installing a new clutch and you can take it to a reputable mechanic. Of course, you could try and install it yourself...after that bolting on a TBE would seem easy!

    Do you have any suspicion that the car may have been (or is) modified already?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

  5. #4
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,972
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Over the last week or so I noticed a pulsating or almost rattling when I shift the car out of gear to slow down and stop.
    Throw out bearing.

    (I was advised by a couple mechanics I've talked to that just shifting into N and braking is safer than downshifting down when you're learning).As soon as he gets back the machanic tells me my clutch is shot, that in first gear it catches for a bit then the tach just goes AWOL. They also say my breaks are shot... Now, my question is, is it at all reasonable to think a clutch could get nuked in less than 2000 miles?
    In addition to the throw out bearing, the clutch is slippling.

    Didn't the dealer work on your brakes like you said?

    Yes, you can wear a clutch in an evening if you are dedicated.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  6. #5
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Is the clutch not grabing or are you hving troubles ****ing in and out of gears?
    Sometimes I have trouble shifting into first or reverse from a dead stop. This has been going on since I got the car. People told me it was a regular thing, and to just re-engage the clutch. The mechanic today told me it wasn't regular at all, and there was probably an issue from day one.

    Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    I doubt any car lot is going to replace a clutch on a used car unless they absolutely have to (and maybe not even then). You should definitely see what they have to say about their warranty/guarantee. Maybe you can get them to fork over the cost of installing a new clutch and you can take it to a reputable mechanic. Of course, you could try and install it yourself...after that bolting on a TBE would seem easy!

    Do you have any suspicion that the car may have been (or is) modified already?
    I didn't get the vehicle from a car lot. I actually got it from an actual Subaru dealership. It's got that dealership's "Subaru approved" (or w/e) 60day used warranty. It's not like Bob's used scrap lot.

    To my knowledge the car is 100% stock. That's what the dealer fed me, "older guy owned it, babied it, yadda yadda." I'm getting the suspician from my forum trolling and reading that he probably tuned the hell out of it then parts out the machine. I honestly don't know, but it seems the older crowd is just as guilty of scoob tuning as us childens.

    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Didn't the dealer work on your brakes like you said?

    Yes, you can wear a clutch in an evening if you are dedicated.
    As far as having worked on them, the dealer resurfaced my front breaks. They didn't replace anything, just evened it out. Said that should fix my vibration issue.

    ------------------------------

    I guess ultimately my question is, "Is this my fault?" I honestly don't know. I'm new to driving standard, and I've been taking it pretty easy. It's not so much the cost now that's on my mind (though, it would suck something fierce. But I think the dealer will cover it). It's the idea that even after getting this taken care of one way or the other, I'll do it again (if it's in fact my fault).
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  7. #6
    Registered User fenderwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southwestern MA
    Posts
    1,313
    they always say an older guy owned it and babied it. you might have gotten a car that's been stocked back up

    but anyways, its under the 3000 mile warranty, so i would tell them to fix it or you want your money back. New york lemon laws state if a car is rendered unsafe or inoperable for two or more reasons in a small amount of time, it's a lemon. you can get all your money back, or they have to fix it no cost.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

  8. #7
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    they always say an older guy owned it and babied it. you might have gotten a car that's been stocked back up

    but anyways, its under the 3000 mile warranty, so i would tell them to fix it or you want your money back. New york lemon laws state if a car is rendered unsafe or inoperable for two or more reasons in a small amount of time, it's a lemon. you can get all your money back, or they have to fix it no cost.
    Oh really? I should look into the lemon laws for sure. I honestly think they'll take care of it, they kinda have to I'd imagine.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  9. #8
    Registered User fenderwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southwestern MA
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Oh really? I should look into the lemon laws for sure. I honestly think they'll take care of it, they kinda have to I'd imagine.
    yeah, check it out, its in your contract or your subaru manuals if you got em, these dealers seem kinda jerklike for doin this to you.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

  10. #9
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    I've heard the dealership I went to has gone downhill over the years, but they used to be top notch. My mother tells me I'm being too nice in saying this, but I think they just didn't get to checking everything out. They turned the car around real fast, which I guess is their own fault.

    They shoulda made me wait until Wednesday before picking up the car, and checked it from head to friggan toe. Like I said, I'm mainly worried that I'm doing something stupid wrong, and I nuked it myself. I find that unlikely, but right now I'm kinda freaking out, heh.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  11. #10
    Registered User fenderwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southwestern MA
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    I've heard the dealership I went to has gone downhill over the years, but they used to be top notch. My mother tells me I'm being too nice in saying this, but I think they just didn't get to checking everything out. They turned the car around real fast, which I guess is their own fault.

    They shoulda made me wait until Wednesday before picking up the car, and checked it from head to friggan toe. Like I said, I'm mainly worried that I'm doing something stupid wrong, and I nuked it myself. I find that unlikely, but right now I'm kinda freaking out, heh.
    you'd have to be doing redline launches, stalling everywhere, and slamming on the breaks to kill the clutch and breaks in 1500 miles hahah
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

  12. #11
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    you'd have to be doing redline launches, stalling everywhere, and slamming on the breaks to kill the clutch and breaks in 1500 miles hahah
    I bought a Redline magazine... Does that count?


    Really though, I think I stalled the thing like 3 times, haven't hit redline yet, and only slammed the breaks once to avoid death. Sometimes when I'm going like 80 I like to force it into 1st gear though, just for kicks. (kidding...)
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  13. #12
    Registered User wrxisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Angels Camp, CA
    Posts
    0
    dammit man!!!!

  14. #13
    Registered User fenderwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southwestern MA
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    I bought a Redline magazine... Does that count?


    Really though, I think I stalled the thing like 3 times, haven't hit redline yet, and only slammed the breaks once to avoid death. Sometimes when I'm going like 80 I like to force it into 1st gear though, just for kicks. (kidding...)
    thatd kill your tranny not your clutch hahaha
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

  15. #14
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxisthebest View Post
    dammit man!!!!
    Damn what?
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  16. #15
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,972
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    thatd kill your tranny not your clutch hahaha
    The stalling would explain why the throw out bearing is noisy. Stalling kills them, among other things.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •