Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

This is a discussion on Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ill be in clifton two weeks from saturday - if youre around, then let me know and i can take ...

  1. #46
    Registered User fenderwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southwestern MA
    Posts
    1,313
    ill be in clifton two weeks from saturday - if youre around, then let me know and i can take a look at it if it hasn't been resolved by then
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    ill be in clifton two weeks from saturday - if youre around, then let me know and i can take a look at it if it hasn't been resolved by then
    Yeah, I'll be in town. If it's not resolved I'd really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted no doubt.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  4. #48
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Hey, I hate to beat a dead horse but I've got another question on the matter, and figured I'll try to put it here before throwing it in a new thread.

    I took my car to AAMCO (a transmission shop) to get looked at today. The mechanic there said that the apparent over-rev of the tach was due to my car being a turbo, not the clutch slipping. He said the clutch was on the way out, but not slipping as of now.

    Is it regular for a WRX or turbo in general to tach way up before accelerating strongly? Is it possible that a mechanic that was unaware of the car being a turbo (which I find hard to beleive) could mistake the turbo itself for a slipping clutch?

    I'm still pretty new to MT, though my driving has gotten very smooth. I'm just trying to find out where I stand before yelling at my dealer to tear apart the transmission and being charged $600.00 in labor to find out nothing was "wrong" enough to justify it.

    -Thanks
    You need to have someone experienced with Subaru's drive your car. These folks appear to be not quite up to speed.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  5. #49
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    So this afternoon I officially go to the dealer to get their take on the situation. The anticipation is killing me.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  6. #50
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    Final verdict:

    Dealer claims the front rotors are fine, resurfaces back rotors. Both sets have been resurfaced now. If the sound comes back they're fixing something!

    Clutch is shot. Replacement clutch assembly ordered (including all bearings involved [throw out, pilot, ones I don't know]) and after my bringing it up (it wasn't their original plan) replacement flywheel as well. Total cost to me $0.00. All covered under warranty.

    I decided to stick with OEM clutch and flywheel, to get a feel for how the stock car runs so when I do upgrade I know the changes. That and the performance flywheel is +$300.00 for the SPT. XD
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  7. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Final verdict:

    Dealer claims the front rotors are fine, resurfaces back rotors. Both sets have been resurfaced now. If the sound comes back they're fixing something!

    Clutch is shot. Replacement clutch assembly ordered (including all bearings involved [throw out, pilot, ones I don't know]) and after my bringing it up (it wasn't their original plan) replacement flywheel as well. Total cost to me $0.00. All covered under warranty.

    I decided to stick with OEM clutch and flywheel, to get a feel for how the stock car runs so when I do upgrade I know the changes. That and the performance flywheel is +$300.00 for the SPT. XD

    Hey I'm glad they're doing the work for free for you. Stealerships are such pains to deal with... I'd stay away from any franchise shop (aamco, meineke, etc..) if I were you. I'll never take my car anywhere but a good performance shop. I don't even trust the head mechanic at the Subaru dealership by me. When you hear them say things like turbo back exhausts are bad for the car you know not to trust them... He fixed my transmission but basically yelled at me for having "cheap aftermarket stuff" on my car...

    Find a performance shop that knows Subies very well. Dealing with turbo charged performance cars (which your WRX is, even if it's stock) is a whole other beast than just fixing a non-turbo car. the extra $$ in labor you might spend at a good performance shop is well worth their knowledge and experience with Subies.

    Read these boards every day too! Seriously!! The more you know about your car the safer you'll be in dealing with mechanics. When you can diagnose your own problems based on the TONS AND TONS of info you'll find here it'll protect you when you need work done.

    Most importantly, enjoy your ride! Bugeye pride! haha!

  8. #52
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    FWIW - look at my modlist - I had all that on the stock clutch and didn't replace it until a couple thousand miles ago simply because the clutch was starting to slip (turns out the reason I couldn't launch, was because the clutch couldn't handle it).

    The stock clutch is plenty capable on the 2002, just depends how you drive it. I've since upgraded to an Exedy Organic Stage 1, and it's very nice.

    Good luck with your bugeye.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  9. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Monroe Wisconsin
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    FWIW - look at my modlist - I had all that on the stock clutch and didn't replace it until a couple thousand miles ago simply because the clutch was starting to slip (turns out the reason I couldn't launch, was because the clutch couldn't handle it).

    The stock clutch is plenty capable on the 2002, just depends how you drive it. I've since upgraded to an Exedy Organic Stage 1, and it's very nice.

    Good luck with your bugeye.

    very true even a stage one in the future helps alot... and I like my exedy stg 1 too ...

    on a side note Micah... where did you find yours for 420 mine was liek 500 when i bought it

  10. #54
    Registered User LarenF3D5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    65
    My parts are in, and now they tell me it'll be a week until they can get them installed. So they expect me to sit here, with a shot clutch, a car I just bought, that I can barely drive until the 13th...

    Yeah, about that, I called the guy who sold me the vehicle, made a big stink, and am now rolling around in a chinsy loaner. But my car's at the shop, and they said it may be done by Tuesday. Here's to hoping.

    Now I'm just worried because the a/c in the 99 legacy they gave me is much better than it was is my WRX. I'm starting to think I shoulda just sucked it up, paid more, and bought new more locally.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

  11. #55
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by uuǝıuoʇuɐɯ View Post
    very true even a stage one in the future helps alot... and I like my exedy stg 1 too ...

    on a side note Micah... where did you find yours for 420 mine was liek 500 when i bought it
    I got mine over at Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ. It's my local subie shop, most of the work on my car has been done there, the rest by my mechanic and friend Ryan. The only tool I touch is my wallet.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5p3ɟuǝɹɐ1 View Post
    Now I'm just worried because the a/c in the 99 legacy they gave me is much better than it was is my WRX. I'm starting to think I shoulda just sucked it up, paid more, and bought new more locally.
    Charge the AC in your car.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  12. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I got mine over at Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ. It's my local subie shop, most of the work on my car has been done there, the rest by my mechanic and friend Ryan. The only tool I touch is my wallet.
    Brick's far. Is the shop good enough to warrant the over an hour drive there?

  13. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    eprov rhode island
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Hey I'm glad they're doing the work for free for you. Stealerships are such pains to deal with... I'd stay away from any franchise shop (aamco, meineke, etc..) if I were you. I'll never take my car anywhere but a good performance shop. I don't even trust the head mechanic at the Subaru dealership by me. When you hear them say things like turbo back exhausts are bad for the car you know not to trust them... He fixed my transmission but basically yelled at me for having "cheap aftermarket stuff" on my car...

    Find a performance shop that knows Subies very well. Dealing with turbo charged performance cars (which your WRX is, even if it's stock) is a whole other beast than just fixing a non-turbo car. the extra $$ in labor you might spend at a good performance shop is well worth their knowledge and experience with Subies.

    Read these boards every day too! Seriously!! The more you know about your car the safer you'll be in dealing with mechanics. When you can diagnose your own problems based on the TONS AND TONS of info you'll find here it'll protect you when you need work done.

    Most importantly, enjoy your ride! Bugeye pride! haha!
    dont hate on stealerships..SOA takes care of more then any other company period..name one other company that admits fault to a head gasket and warrenty's it to 100,000 in some case's 140,000????thats customer satisfaction right there
    New England F4

    feel free to pm me with any questions..

  14. #58
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    dont hate on stealerships..SOA takes care of more then any other company period..name one other company that admits fault to a head gasket and warrenty's it to 100,000 in some case's 140,000????thats customer satisfaction right there
    Name one other company that checks SCCA events for license plates on STI's to deny warranty coverage, yet placed SCCA membership cards in the ownership papers for the car.

    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  15. #59
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142

    Rich is the ****ing man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Brick's far. Is the shop good enough to warrant the over an hour drive there?
    IMHO - yes.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  16. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    eprov rhode island
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Name one other company that checks SCCA events for license plates on STI's to deny warranty coverage, yet placed SCCA membership cards in the ownership papers for the car.

    all company's look for that..can you blame them... i always believe if you wanna play then pay..cant expect someone to warrenty your can when your beatting it
    New England F4

    feel free to pm me with any questions..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •