Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; <---shortly going to stage to <---shortly going to put in STI RA Gears w/a performance clutch total cost for reliable ...

<---shortly going to stage to
    <---shortly going to put in STI RA Gears w/a performance clutch

total cost for reliable stage 2:

DP~400
    SPT Intake w/heat shield - 200
    SPT Exhaust: 420
    AP2.0: 695
    STI RA Gears 1500
    Performance Clutch, cover & lightened flywheel: 1000

Total cost for build:

Will tranny blow up if VF22 is installed?

NOPE! YAY! :P
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    hahaha - yeah - is it the borla hush or the 3" T-304 stainless?
    It's the Borla hush. I'm told the only real "hush" about it is the look.

I think the weakest part of my position is I don't want to shove the car up his ass. I'm really happy with the vehicle so far, they just need to make good on what's messed up, and pronto!

I've got the other shop I go to giving the car a once over. I asked them to just check the whole thing and see what else needs work. Then I'm gunna fax my salesman the printed list of what needs to be done, and tell him to get scheduling my work. And I'd better not be paying for a damn thing. (except upgrades perhaps)
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

I Support ClubWRX
    In this case, who knows.

A clutch can last 150k, and/or a clutch can be killed in the span of 5 miles. Heck, you could kill a clutch without going 1 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Heck, you could kill a clutch without going 1 mile.
    I've seen someone do that before!! inexperienced!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post

I've got the other shop I go to giving the car a once over. I asked them to just check the whole thing and see what else needs work. Then I'm gunna fax my salesman the printed list of what needs to be done, and tell him to get scheduling my work. And I'd better not be paying for a damn thing. (except upgrades perhaps)

Best approach. Act as though the repairs are a given and just get the work scheduled. This leaves them with the onus of having to explain why they are denying your warranty (if they decide to do so) and puts them on the defensive rather than vice-versa. I hate it when dealers try to make you feel like you have to defend THEIR service contract.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Banned
    I wouldn't even mention upgrades at all

And if the clutch is not compleatly out I think you will be hard pressed trying to get him to replace it.

The shop just called me, they told me there was a "list" and wouldn't get into it over the phone.. I'm gunna call them back after my first break and push the issue.

Now I'm concerned.

Edit: I called them back, they told me the front rotors and clutch need to be replaced. They said it "should" all be covered under warranty.
    Last edited by LarenF3D5; 06-26-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

nice. now just push for a mechanical failure clause and get some money back or something like it hahaha

nice. now just push for a mechanical failure clause and get some money back or something like it hahaha
    Yeah, here's to hoping they make good on it.

Bumpdate
    Just got home after picking the car up from the shop (Monro in Albany). The printup they gave me of "Work to be done" is as follows;

Brakes
    $134.67(cost) + $25.50(labor) = $160.17 RF Brake Rotor
    $134.67(cost) + $25.50(labor) = $160.17 LF Brake Rotor
    Service
    Clutch is slipping--Requires clutch assembly and flywheel replacement.
    There's no estimate for the clutch work because the shop doesn't do clutches this time of year, I guess.

They suggest I get a second opinion from AAMCO in Albany, I guess they do a lot of transmission work. Given their writeup with the whole thing needing replacement (I mentioned the throw out bearing and the mechanic said it was included in the term "Clutch assembly") and including the flywheel if the dealer follows it and finds the same issues (I'm getting a second opinion to throw in their face in case they decide not to) I should be set pretty well.

Since the mechanic says the whole thing needs to get done (including the flywheel) I may be able to upgrade the whole setup a little cheaper still (here's to hoping).

Just thought I'd update the situation. I know it's kept me on the edge of my seat all day.

Hey, I hate to beat a dead horse but I've got another question on the matter, and figured I'll try to put it here before throwing it in a new thread.

I took my car to AAMCO (a transmission shop) to get looked at today. The mechanic there said that the apparent over-rev of the tach was due to my car being a turbo, not the clutch slipping. He said the clutch was on the way out, but not slipping as of now.

Is it regular for a WRX or turbo in general to tach way up before accelerating strongly? Is it possible that a mechanic that was unaware of the car being a turbo (which I find hard to beleive) could mistake the turbo itself for a slipping clutch?

I'm still pretty new to MT, though my driving has gotten very smooth. I'm just trying to find out where I stand before yelling at my dealer to tear apart the transmission and being charged $600.00 in labor to find out nothing was "wrong" enough to justify it.

-Thanks

Hey, I hate to beat a dead horse but I've got another question on the matter, and figured I'll try to put it here before throwing it in a new thread.

I took my car to AAMCO (a transmission shop) to get looked at today. The mechanic there said that the apparent over-rev of the tach was due to my car being a turbo, not the clutch slipping. He said the clutch was on the way out, but not slipping as of now.

Is it regular for a WRX or turbo in general to tach way up before accelerating strongly? Is it possible that a mechanic that was unaware of the car being a turbo (which I find hard to beleive) could mistake the turbo itself for a slipping clutch?

I'm still pretty new to MT, though my driving has gotten very smooth. I'm just trying to find out where I stand before yelling at my dealer to tear apart the transmission and being charged $600.00 in labor to find out nothing was "wrong" enough to justify it.

-Thanks
    yeah, it revs way up but you shouldnt gas it hard in 1st anyway -t he 02 has a fairly weak tranny. but yeah, the clutch is gonna be starting to slip, and the brakes have prolly not been replaced in 40000 miles.

i would have them do everything, if you were in first and the clutch was past the catch point and revving up, then somethings wrong. it sounds like the clutch is def. on its way out.

yeah, it revs way up but you shouldnt gas it hard in 1st anyway -t he 02 has a fairly weak tranny. but yeah, the clutch is gonna be starting to slip, and the brakes have prolly not been replaced in 40000 miles.

i would have them do everything, if you were in first and the clutch was past the catch point and revving up, then somethings wrong. it sounds like the clutch is def. on its way out.
    I never did gas it hard in first, that's something the first mechanic said signaled that the clutch was an issue. Both mechanics stated that the clutch needs replacing soon no matter what, like I said 74,400 miles on it, no clutch/transmission work.

All of the breaks have been replaces in the last 15000 miles, they replaced the rear brake rotors 12000 miles ago. But for some reason they haven't touched the front rotors (which will change Monday).

I definately want them to do everything, and get my vehicle in tip top shape, but I'm afraid of eating a huge diagnostics cost before they even get to work on the clutch/transmission. I mean, if it's "going" to go or "starting" to slip are they under obligation to fix it? Would preventative maintanence be under warranty (to a point)? I could easily see them telling me that it's not an immediate issue, and to get it done now would cost some serious $$$.

I never did gas it hard in first, that's something the first mechanic said signaled that the clutch was an issue. Both mechanics stated that the clutch needs replacing soon no matter what, like I said 74,400 miles on it, no clutch/transmission work.

All of the breaks have been replaces in the last 15000 miles, they replaced the rear brake rotors 12000 miles ago. But for some reason they haven't touched the front rotors (which will change Monday).

I definately want them to do everything, and get my vehicle in tip top shape, but I'm afraid of eating a huge diagnostics cost before they even get to work on the clutch/transmission. I mean, if it's "going" to go or "starting" to slip are they under obligation to fix it? Would preventative maintanence be under warranty (to a point)? I could easily see them telling me that it's not an immediate issue, and to get it done now would cost some serious $$$.
    threaten with lawyers and the fact that it will not pass safety inspection next time around.

whats a good lawyer in the capital district? throw his name out there.

whats a good lawyer in the capital district? throw his name out there.
    Hah, I've got no idea. I try to stay out of situations where you need one. But I'll look around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.