Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR The stalling would explain why the throw out bearing is noisy. Stalling kills them, among other ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The stalling would explain why the throw out bearing is noisy. Stalling kills them, among other things.
    Even just a couple stalls? I didn't stall it much.
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LarenF3D5 View Post
    Even just a couple stalls? I didn't stall it much.
    no. my ex girlfriend stalled my car like 100 times and it still doesnt make any noises hahaha
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    no. my ex girlfriend stalled my car like 100 times and it still doesnt make any noises hahaha
    /cry

Yeah, I think the 74000 miles before me had something to do with it. Now I'm wondering if while they're in there I should just get them to toss in a performance clutch... lol
    "You got a HOOD SCOOP?!" -Francis (A co-worker, on seeing my 02 WRX for the first time)

Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    they always say an older guy owned it and babied it. you might have gotten a car that's been stocked back up

but anyways, its under the 3000 mile warranty, so i would tell them to fix it or you want your money back. New york lemon laws state if a car is rendered unsafe or inoperable for two or more reasons in a small amount of time, it's a lemon. you can get all your money back, or they have to fix it no cost.
    he is right..if you have a 3000 mile warr. and your withing the time you bring it back and make them repair it..but what i will say is they are not going to replace the flywheel and i would recomend you do so...and do NOT just re surface the mating surfaces..replace the flywheel..and while your in there and they prob wont pay for the flywheel anyway id get a lighter flywheel.and see what they will do with you on installing a aftermarket clutch instead..you would have to eat the extra cost and they wont warrenty their work if you use aftermarket parts but if you buy a good product your wont need a warrenty.so i suggest you get them to eat the labor and factory parts cost.and pay the extra to install a better clutch..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

/cry

Yeah, I think the 74000 miles before me had something to do with it. Now I'm wondering if while they're in there I should just get them to toss in a performance clutch... lol
    if they're paying for parts, a new wrx clutch is gonna bring them back like 450, a performance clutch will be like 700, so if they dont, then you should give em 250, but the performance clutch will be crazy stiff. haha.

while they're down there, get them to inspect the gears if they will, and also give them some incentive to put better pads and rotors on

Couldn't I get parts through SPT that they'd support/not be that concerned with? I was considering the idea of upgrading that stuff when it burned out anyway, and now would be a prime time to do just that.

Since I was having issues with the clutch from the start it seems, would a performance clutch really be a good idea? I want to, but I'm wondering if I'll see a real benifit, or if the change is a good idea in general either way.

exedy's stage 1 clutch is nice grips better than stock but is not a monster to drive daily.. I feal your pain within week of getting my car the clutch died.. (genius me bought the car as is no warranty) if you have the dealer put it make absolutely sure they either rplace or resurface the flywheel.. and replace the throwout bearing... because 2 days after I picked my car up from the clutch job the tranny went out... which I am half sure is because the throw out bearing ws bad... and they said when they put the new tranny in that " ohh the throwout bearing needed to be replaced" man i nearly ripped off the service guys head when he said that... but yeah my exedy stage 1 was like 600 and 300for labor... because I threw a royal fit.

here is a decent place to shop for clutches or check the vendor area they have even better deals usually
    http://www.andysautosport.com/subaru...n/clutch_kits/

Quote Originally Posted by Mantonienn View Post
    exedy's stage 1 clutch is nice grips better than stock but is not a monster to drive daily.. I feal your pain within week of getting my car the clutch died.. (genius me bought the car as is no warranty) if you have the dealer put it make absolutely sure they either rplace or resurface the flywheel.. and replace the throwout bearing... because 2 days after I picked my car up from the clutch job the tranny went out... which I am half sure is because the throw out bearing ws bad... and they said when they put the new tranny in that " ohh the throwout bearing needed to be replaced" man i nearly ripped off the service guys head when he said that... but yeah my exedy stage 1 was like 600 and 300for labor... because I threw a royal fit.

here is a decent place to shop for clutches or check the vendor area they have even better deals usually
    http://www.andysautosport.com/subaru...n/clutch_kits/

do NOT resurface the flywheel...replace it..no questions asked ..trust me ive been a subie tech for 8 years..save yourself the trouble time and money and replace it when you do the clutch..along with the pilot bearing,and throw out bearing
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    do NOT resurface the flywheel...replace it..no questions asked ..trust me ive been a subie tech for 8 years..save yourself the trouble time and money and replace it when you do the clutch..along with the pilot bearing,and throw out bearing
    How much does work like that usually cost? I doubt I can just yell at them and make them change it all without a good reason. "Because I said so!" wouldn't work to try to make the warranty cover it I'd imagine.. Is the labor for is all pretty muc inclusive to the clutch replacement anyway? I know the mechanic said to replace the clutch you need to tear apart the whole thing. So is it literally like, "while you guys are there just..."

And how receptive are dealerships for installing aftermarket parts? They wont pitch a fit if I bring in an aftermarket clutch? Or, equally as important, if they were willing to eat the cost of a stock clutch I doubt they'd take that $450(?) and put it towards my aftermarket one? Just seems to me like something odd to expect/ask them to do.

Does subaru deal with aftermarket stuff directly? Could I make the dealership order the piece, or would I need to bring in the kit myself? This is the first vehicle I've had that I really gave a damn about, so I'm kinda new to this whole thing.

How much does work like that usually cost? I doubt I can just yell at them and make them change it all without a good reason. "Because I said so!" wouldn't work to try to make the warranty cover it I'd imagine.. Is the labor for is all pretty muc inclusive to the clutch replacement anyway? I know the mechanic said to replace the clutch you need to tear apart the whole thing. So is it literally like, "while you guys are there just..."

And how receptive are dealerships for installing aftermarket parts? They wont pitch a fit if I bring in an aftermarket clutch? Or, equally as important, if they were willing to eat the cost of a stock clutch I doubt they'd take that $450(?) and put it towards my aftermarket one? Just seems to me like something odd to expect/ask them to do.

Does subaru deal with aftermarket stuff directly? Could I make the dealership order the piece, or would I need to bring in the kit myself? This is the first vehicle I've had that I really gave a damn about, so I'm kinda new to this whole thing.
    how much it would cost not sure...but its only a extra 8 bolts to do the flywheel...and if your going to a subaru dealer then they will have no problem if you go with spt parts..the money they lose on the clutch job they will make back with the spt products on markup...they will bassiclly break even...it might be tuff to use aftermarket stuff ..but spt is a great product and you will love it...and you wont have as much of a hard clutch pedal with spt as apposed to aftermarket i suggest you use upgraded spt parts and buy them direct threw the dealer..they shouldnt have a prob with it..remember replace the flywheel/clutch/pilot bearing/throw out bearing....thats my best advice..or you could eat it all buy all aftermarket and ill install for half the pric of the dealer...
    New England F4

On the SPT site under the descriptions for all their performance clutches it goes into a schpeal about "as-is" and voiding warranty. They also mention off-road use only. If I throw in a performance clutch are federal agents going to jump out of helicopters and arrest me?

Seriously though, are the SPT clutches not advisable for regular driving?

that just covers subaru's butt meaning they werent tested on the highway so if you blow up your car going 140 on a road, it isnt their fault (which it wouldnt be anyways, and this clutch is made more for that, but its just a coverage issue.)

Okay, so in all they should be cool with installing it then? I just hate the song and dance they give you. When I went to the dealership for an oil change and asked for synthetic the guy looked at me like I was crazy.

"why do you want synthetic?"
    "I've heard it's better for the engine."
    "Not really, it only helps with extreme temperature changes."
    "Oh?"
    "Yeah, I mean, I guess it might help if you were like, racing or something. You're not racing are you?"
    "No, not yet, I wanna get more comfortable with the transmission first."

I figure there's no need to worry about warranty issues anyway. In 1500 miles I'm off warranty and they wont cover a thing as it is.

It's just kinda funny having a Borla CBE sitting on my kitchen floor for almost a week, and still my first mod might be a performance clutch.

Okay, so in all they should be cool with installing it then? I just hate the song and dance they give you. When I went to the dealership for an oil change and asked for synthetic the guy looked at me like I was crazy.

"why do you want synthetic?"
    "I've heard it's better for the engine."
    "Not really, it only helps with extreme temperature changes."
    "Oh?"
    "Yeah, I mean, I guess it might help if you were like, racing or something. You're not racing are you?"
    "No, not yet, I wanna get more comfortable with the transmission first."

I figure there's no need to worry about warranty issues anyway. In 1500 miles I'm off warranty and they wont cover a thing as it is.

It's just kinda funny having a Borla CBE sitting on my kitchen floor for almost a week, and still my first mod might be a performance clutch.
    hahaha - yeah - is it the borla hush or the 3" T-304 stainless?

Banned
    I have heard alot of good thing said about the oem clutch. For a 2002 I would be conserned about the tranny as well and if you plan on puting more power to the ground then your tranny might snap with an upgraded clutch.
    I feel your pain.
    My tranny aint up to the stage 2 I don't think.
    Your still in a good place to take that car a shove it right back up the dealers ass. Don't let him give you any ish because your a kid. The combined knowlage of this forum out weighs whatever knowlage that dealer has about the car. He is going to tell you what ever it is he thinks you need to hear to save his own ass. DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.