Subaru WRX Forum banner

Burned clutch on my 2002 used. (owned for less than 2k miles)

5K views 66 replies 13 participants last post by  fenderwrx 
#1 ·
Car: 2002 WRX, 74,000 miles.
According to service report no clutch/transmission work done ever.

So I got my 2002 WRX something like 4 weeks ago. So far I've driven it a little over 1500 miles. Over the last week or so I noticed a pulsating or almost rattling when I shift the car out of gear to slow down and stop. (I was advised by a couple mechanics I've talked to that just shifting into N and braking is safer than downshifting down when you're learning).

I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from (It's got a 3000 mile 60day warranty) and all they did was check the breaks which they decided to resurface. Got the car back, the problem's not gone. So I bring it into a Monro shop closer to my house and they take it for a spin. As soon as he gets back the machanic tells me my clutch is shot, that in first gear it catches for a bit then the tach just goes AWOL. They also say my breaks are shot.

Now, my question is, is it at all reasonable to think a clutch could get nuked in less than 2000 miles? I mean, I drive fast but I'm not exceptionally hard on my vehicle. I haven't raced, dropped the clutch, or any nonsense like that. I've only miss-shifted a couple times but that was earlier on in my learning. Would most reputable dealer warranties cover a shot clutch so soon? I've talked to some people I know that drive standard, and they tell me it's nearly impossible to destroy a perfectly good clutch so soon.

This car was only on the lot a total of like 4 days, 2 being a weekend. I got it the day after it got traded in. I'm wondering if the dealer just didn't take the time to maintenance it themselves.

Ideas/suggestions/opinions w/e would be great. I'm kinda stressing over this at the moment... If I have to pay for it it's going to severely put back my timetable on going Stage 2! :baaa:

See less See more
#61 ·
So today I was finally able to drive my car home, after quite some discussion with the dealership. By talking to and through my salesman I was finally able to get the following done(I beleive, I haven't gotten the paperwork on details yet):

New clutch and Flywheel installed
Front brake rotors replaced
Air conditioning checkes/recharged (I dunno what exactly they did, I asked them to check it and now it works much better).

I picked the car up this afternoon, and didn't spend a thin red cent.

I'll say one thing for sure, the car I drove home is NOT the car I dropped off. It's like a whole new animal with the replaced clutch. I'm stalling and starting jumpy all over again, good to know I REALLY learned on a busterd machine.

Anyway, currently happy to have my car back. Glad I caught all this stuff early on. :thumbup:

#62 ·
Chances are they charged your A/C, but didn't check it for leaks. Just hold onto your receipt that shows they were taking care of it, then next summer when it needs to be recharged again, try to get them to do it for free.

Oh, and new clutches are a punishing experience, after 500, 1000, and 2000 miles I saw a difference on mine.

#64 ·
Sure, I'd be game for getting together and shooting the shyst. I want an experienced enthusiast to give my vehicle a look anyway, some trained eyes would be great. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.