OK...so the inspection station drops a bomb on me...

This is a discussion on OK...so the inspection station drops a bomb on me... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car passed fine. But I go to pick it up and the guy says that my short ram intake ...

OK...so the inspection station drops a bomb on me...

My car passed fine. But I go to pick it up and the guy says that my short ram intake filter was OFF of the tube and just sitting in my engine bay, meaning I would imagine, that I was essentially running an open intake for who knows how long. It couldnt have been more than a month and a half, cause I just did my brakes on may 5th and it wasnt off then. There were two mechanics who couldnt really give me a straight story, one guy said it was on the tube but loose, the other said it was physically off the maf tube and sitting there in my bay.

So..how whipped is my engine possibly now..driving for over a month with potentially no intake air filtration? Shouldnt a CEL have come on or something in i was ingesting unfiltered air? How screwed am I?

oh and my valve covers are leaking.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im beginning to think that there is no way that it could have been completely off.. I drive 80 miles round trip to work every day. I havent noticed any sounds (wouldnt it be exponentially louder if the filter fell off??) and I havent noticed any difference in mileage-- I keep a close eyes on these things.
    www.jscspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    im beginning to think that there is no way that it could have been completely off.. I drive 80 miles round trip to work every day. I havent noticed any sounds (wouldnt it be exponentially louder if the filter fell off??) and I havent noticed any difference in mileage-- I keep a close eyes on these things.
    if you had no air filter at all you would have noticed alot of difference on how your turbo spooled...it would have been very noticeable to say the least...as far is how much damage you have done prob none..i would have a induction clean done just to get and excessive build up out of your trhottle body and intake...

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by TheJ; 06-24-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    if you had no air filter at all you would have noticed alot of difference on how your turbo spooled...it would have been very noticeable to say the least...as far is how much damage you have done prob none..i would have a induction clean done just to get and excessive build up out of your trhottle body and intake...

how do you do an 'induction clean' links? is this something I buy? or take or a shop or??
    www.jscspeed.com

I am now 99% sure it wasnt off. This is what my intake tube looks like without wiping it or anything.

www.jscspeed.com

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Here's why:

a) it looks pristine
    b) As long as your MAF was still in place and functioning properly, your fueling and ECU control should have been almost identical so no worries about engine damage
    c) A short ram is in an ideal place to suck in little or no crap via the filter. Very hard to ingest water, up too high to ingest rocks or pebbles or leaves, etc. If you think about all those drag cars that run no filter on their turbos for max performance, I don't think a couple of weeks of "half off" is going to have made a huge difference.

I doubt it was off either. You would have noticed your car running weird if it was. It needs to have something to suck against when it's pulling in the air, unless it's designed not to (like the drag cars taht were mentioned). In one of my previous cars the big intake hose dry rotted, and cracked at one of the flex joints, and the car ran all kinds of weird while it was sucking air in through that crack. I would say you don't need to worry.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    +1 for teh classic
    glad im not the only one who thought of that when i saw the title
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.