Engine noise/ grumbling

This is a discussion on Engine noise/ grumbling within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About 2 to 3 weeks ago the car has started grumbling when reving the car up with and with out ...

Engine noise/ grumbling

About 2 to 3 weeks ago the car has started grumbling when reving the car up with and with out a load on the motor. I have a 02 wrx wagon with 93000 miles on the stock timing belt. It's not bad on idle but changes with engine speed. I changed the oil and filter and no metal shaving in the oil. I took off the accessory belts to make sure it wasn't the accessorys. It doesn't use any oil and is clean?

Thanks
    Brian
    Rev'n Seven Motorsports And Quad City Boxer Four
    02 WRX Wagon 13.6@99mph 1.90 60 foot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Could you describe the noise more. Any mods.

Well in search of trying to find to noise, I have demodded the car. I was on stage 2 ap, cobb catback, injen cai, helix up pipe, bosal downpipe and 3rd cat elimator, perrin crank pulley. The things left on the car crank pulley, downpipe, and cat elimator. Everything else is back to stock. When the noise first started was hit or miss when it was at normal temp. I noticed the noise on warm start up, so i was thinking the starter was hanging up. But one day i didn't shut the car off and it started to make the noise. Its a hard noise to explain, but seam that something is bound up in a way. It changes with engine rpm, so i think the timing belt or the tensioners are shot. The noise is deep grumble, its almost like driving on grooved pavement. Other then that its hard to explain.

Thanks
    Brian

I have an 03 wrx wagon, no mods. I think I have the same noise. This is my first forced induction car, and I thought it was wierd that the flywheel would get the engine to rev right after putting the clutch in. This is when I'm getting this noise. Also, second is sort of hard to put in gear.

I just got a new clutch, and for some reason the friction point quickly moved real high up on the pedal after it initially was in the middle of its full motion.

Do you have any similar symptoms?

Does yours match engine rpm? Also while you are driving the car? This noise is very annoying. Mine does it with the clutch in or out. It might be the same.

Brian

when i shift or let off the gas my engine makes a louder than normal, lower than normal grumble. When I'm not moving, and I rev the engine, it does it as well.

It doesn't seem to hinder the performance of the car, but certainly sounds like something may break.

I was thinking it might be an exhaust leak and the noise is coming from backflow pressure being released. I don't know if this engine behaves the same with the turbo with regard to backflow pressure.

How many miles are on you wrx? I think we both have the same symptoms. Mine is doing exactly the same, my dad road with me yesterday and thinks the turbo might have something wrong with it. I'm thinking the timing belt or the tensioner, but not dought the turbo might be bad either.

Brian

I have just under 60k miles on mine. Got a new clutch 2k miles ago. I noticed a little hiccup sound from the turbo every once in a while. I could sense that the car had been driven hard after owning it for awhile.

My engine light came on for about 100 miles then back off today. I really don't want to go to the dealership, its 100 miles away, and I don't even like them very much.

Here in the next week or 2 im going to be doing some work on mine. I will keep you informed if I get it straightened out. My buddy is bringing me his spare turbo. So I will be starting with the turbo then the timing belt.
    Autozone should be able to shutoff the engine light for you.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by revnseven View Post
    Here in the next week or 2 im going to be doing some work on mine. I will keep you informed if I get it straightened out. My buddy is bringing me his spare turbo. So I will be starting with the turbo then the timing belt.
    Autozone should be able to shutoff the engine light for you.

Brian
    i dont know exactly what you mean about a grumbling sound..but if it sounds sort of like a very small engine nock/tick its most likely the timing belt tensioner...it is very common on all subarus...if your doing the belt id buy the tensioner also..you will prob see a wear mark on the top of the tensioner..also you will notice the hydraulic fluid leaking out around the piston of the tensioner
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Is it worth putting a good timing belt on? I was planning on getting the Power enterprise belt. So i'll get some prices for the tensioners.

Quote Originally Posted by revnseven View Post
    Is it worth putting a good timing belt on? I was planning on getting the Power enterprise belt. So i'll get some prices for the tensioners.
    with 93k its def worth doing the tbelt
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Well I got mine fixed. I have about $600 in parts and doing the labor my self. Put a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and all the idler pulleys. In the process I found the bottom pass idler and the water pump was shot. After getting it back together it sounds like new. No noises while driving with rpm changes. So if anyone has these noises its worth doing all the parts. I uses Rally Sport direct for the Greedy timing belt and King of Parts in the vender area. I got the best deal from King of Parts for all the oem parts do this job. Its not that hard of job to do by your self. Just look for post on what to do with the timing belt.

Thanks
    Brian