Very Unique Uppipe problem... evidently...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Very Unique Uppipe problem... evidently... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Obviously im new here and ive looked all over the site for a solution to my problem... No luck. Maybe ...

Very Unique Uppipe problem... evidently...

Obviously im new here and ive looked all over the site for a solution to my problem... No luck. Maybe some of you guys can help me.

Ive had my bone-stock-except-this-stupid-uppipe 03 wrx for about a year and 8 months. About a month after I got my 03 WRX a guy talked me into buying this "uppipe" from him. I didnt even know what it was, but he told me how SWEET it was and i fell for it and bought it ($35 by the way which i now know is a pretty good deal). I installed it, and believe it or not ran into some issues. I think i have the o2 sensor plugged into my uppipe and Im throwin CEL. ALSO, the EGT sensor broke! and wasnt plugged back in... Obviously, i cant pass inspection and no longer have a Drivers License because of it (inspection ticket, court date, failure to appear, seatbelt ticket a year later, went to jail, driving while license revoked, you get the pic- either way this uppipe has caused me massive problems with my vehicle) . ANy suggestions? Do i need a new EGT sensor? I didnt even know what that was until i started reading here. The needle broke off and its bent all to hell. Should i plug it back in the uppipe? Am i gonna have to remove that pipe to do so? (hope not) And is that the reason my car has CEL on or could it be because the o2 sensor is in the catless uppipe instead of the manifold on the passenger side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is a thread on this problem I appologize, i looked forever and couldnt find it. When you search for "im a douche that tried to mod my car not knowing what the hell i was doing" it doesnt produce much results.

Thank you guys, hope someone can help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do I need an EGT bung? No. The EGT bung is there for one purpose. It houses the EGT probe that monitors the exhaust temperature so the engine heat does not break down the catalytic converter element if the EGT becomes too hot. Since your new uppipe has no cat, you don't need an EGT probe.

My uppipe has an EGT bung, should I plug it or reinstall the stock EGT sensor? There is a chance down the road that EGT probe could burn up and pieces of it could be ingested by the turbo. Plugging it is the best option. You will need a M12x1.25 bolt. They can be tricky to find and many go to auto parts stores and ask for this type of oil drain bolt. True hardware stores are also a good place to find these. You may consider a jam nut if the bolt is too long, or you could trim it down to fit better. High temp thread locking compound is also an option.

What is the CEL fix? 2.2 KOhm 1/2 watt resistor. These are available at Radio Shack and are usually in stock. $1 buys you 6 of them. You place it in the EGT connector, which is the bottom connector just forward of your passenger side strut tower. It only has two holes, so jam one end of the resistor into each. If you do not use this resistor, you will probably end up with the CEL code P0546 = Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input). ***NOTE***There are two CEL fixes for the WRX, the other one is the rear CEL code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, this code being caused by the lack of a catalytic converter in the downpipe. This is usually fixed with an electrical fix or mechanical fix. This notice, though not important to this thread, acknowledges there are two "CEL fixes" and defines them individually to avoid possible confusion.

CEL fix location is forward of the passenger side strut tower:

Should I reset my ECU after this mod? It is never a bad idea to perform an ECU reset after a mod. The traditional route is to disconnect the negative battery terminal, press the brake pedal for a few seconds to bleed the system of charge, and reattach. Some use the more advanced Vishnu Reset.

this was taken from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=443943

Quote Originally Posted by wreckdWRX View Post
    =inspection ticket, court date, failure to appear, seatbelt ticket a year later, went to jail, driving while license revoked, you get the pic- either way this uppipe has caused me massive problems with my vehicle
    Anyone else think it's kinda funny how he blames the up pipe?

yeah, I saw that.
    I tried to ignore the sob story a just give him some info that should have been known before the UP was done. oh well.

edit..
    I like that avatar. if I'm not mistaken that sign is right across from the Safeway heading south on 1 out of Carmel?

so i dont need the egt sensor at all? and the o2 sensoir should be put back in its place. and i dont blame the uppipe, i blame my incompetence. is there anyone willing to answer the questions i actually asked? rather than make up their own and answer them.

Banned
    Obviously, i cant pass inspection and no longer have a Drivers License because of it (inspection ticket, court date, failure to appear, seatbelt ticket a year later, went to jail, driving while license revoked, you get the pic- either way this uppipe has caused me massive problems with my vehicle) .
    You can't be serious jail time

This is insane what were you thinking for the 9 hours you spent trying to install the thing.

1-No you don't need the EGT sensor. Plug the bung with a appropriate sized and pitch bolt. Use the resistor-fix I listed above to eliminate the CEL (assuming the CEL is P0546).
    2-The O2 sensor in the manifold should have never been removed in the first place

so the resistor plugs into where the EGT sensor plugs in? or do i need to cut wires and solder?

no cutting no soldering.
    just bend the two wire ends of the resistor and put them into where the EGT sensor plugs into. put some electrical tape on it so it won't fall out.
    I would also reset your ecu (remove neg. battery cable, pump brake pedal a few times, reattach cable)

ok i did all that and CEL is still on! now what? Im about to trade this damn thing in.

odbII code is P0447 Evaporative emmision system vent control circuit open

Any sugesstions?

Thanks

OK, couple of questions:
    1) did you reset the ECU?
    2)did you install the UP yourself?

evap. code could be as simple as a loose gas cap or a disconnected vac. line. check all lines under the hood.

also, I would suggest searching out some info online and also checking out nasioc.com. you'll likely get more help there.
    Last edited by Brock31; 06-21-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Banned
    Sorry for the slap

But if all else fails you can find somone in your area with a tatrix cable and deleat the Cel code permently. I think this is safer than the resistor mod. Go start another post here and on nasioc. I would include as much information about the car as posible as it will aid anyone cosidering helping you. Also ask if you are in the wrong web site to be finding people in your region for example this board is mostly midwest people from what I can see. My utah homies chill over at nasioc and denver on AWDpirates.com

Hey I fixed it... It was some plug dangling and torn all to hell in the back passenger fender well. I used one of the resistors to close the "open circuit". Found a similar problem on NASIOC (thanks). The CEL is OFF thank God and all I need is for it to stay off in the morning on the way to the inspection place. Well, for now anyway. after I get my license back I will worry about whateverthehell that thing was.

But thanks for your help. I wouldnt have known where to start.

Banned
    Hey I fixed it... It was some plug dangling and torn all to hell in the back passenger fender well. I used one of the resistors to close the "open circuit". Found a similar problem on NASIOC (thanks). The CEL is OFF thank God and all I need is for it to stay off in the morning on the way to the inspection place. Well, for now anyway. after I get my license back I will worry about whateverthehell that thing was.

But thanks for your help. I wouldnt have known where to start.

Nice. Welcome aboard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.