Big problem with my 02 WRX

This is a discussion on Big problem with my 02 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, i'm new to these boards, to WRX's, and to cars in general, so please bear with me Recently ...

Big problem with my 02 WRX

Hey guys, i'm new to these boards, to WRX's, and to cars in general, so please bear with me
    Recently I left my 2002 Wrx with 44k miles on it (New car to me, i've put about 2k on it) in a school parking lot overnight, when i left in the morning, I noticed that the back windsheild had been painted on, a class of 2008/2007 rivalry, so I dont know if this was vandalism or something I did.

Up unto this night/morning, the car was working absolutly perfectly, when I got into the car to drive home in the morning, I noticed a squeeling sound as soon as I started the car, that didnt go away until I hit about 3krpm in first, and then started again as i switched to 2nd, and so on. After about .5 miles, the car self destructed on me..
    The check engine light started to blink
    The battery light came on solid
    The Brake light came on solid
    Steering wheel locked up
    Gas pedal became harder to push
    Clutch became harder to push

Now naturally I shifted neutral and pulled the car over off asap, after about 15 minutes of looking through everything, I noticed 3 disconnected wires by the open hood latch (Inside the car) but I cant find where they plug into.. I had to drive the car home like this, as much as I didnt want to, and when i was heading home I heard a very loud knocking in the engine that got faster the longer I stayed in gear, and went away rapidly as i shifted to N.

If anyone has any idea what the problem may be, or how to fix it, please let me know, I'm freaking out

Edit: forgot to add, the only aftermarket part on my car is a ANSA Silverline exhaust
    http://www.silverlineexhaust.com/Sil...Car/index.html
    Last edited by Mocci; 06-21-2007 at 02:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

idk about the wires can u get some pics for us please ?
    also check ur belts
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Are two of the wires green with white ends? These are your test connections and are used when reprogramming the ECU and for test cycling various items in the car. These are supposed to be disconnected.

From the sounds and lights you've described, it sounds like your timing belt slipped and then skipped a tooth or two.

I hate to say it, by you likely have some serious damage to at least the valves at this point, and likely the pistons and/or rods by now.

I'm not sure what the squeeling noise could have been though. Usually this is a belt, steering pump, alternator, or sometimes a water pump.

I've never heard of someone being able to hear a timing belt slip, so this is curious.

Obviously don't drive the car. You need to get the CEL codes read ASAP.

Did you notice what your exhaust looked like? Was it black or white or normal?

The two items the really confuse me are the clutch and throttle becoming hardeer to operate. A clutch can do this, but I have no clue what would cause the throttle to do this.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I'm thinking timing belt too. Or, I wonder if the serpentine belt bound up? The alternator, power steering pump, etc. work off the serpentine belt. I'm thinking maybe the squeeling was a pulley on an accessory seizing up, and the belt scraping over it. It wouldn't take long for that to destroy the belt. The pulley seizing up or being difficult to turn is caused by a bad bearing in the accessory.

For example, say your alternator bearing goes and therefore the pulley that rides in the bearing starts seizing up. The belt will be able to turn the pulley to a point, but the bearing will make a nasty screaching sound as it turns. Eventually, it will seize up to the point that the belt can't turn it anymore and the belt will shred. Then none of your accessories will work, so you'll lose power steering, power brakes, the alternator, air conditioner, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    I'm thinking timing belt too. Or, I wonder if the serpentine belt bound up? The alternator, power steering pump, etc. work off the serpentine belt. I'm thinking maybe the squeeling was a pulley on an accessory seizing up, and the belt scraping over it. It wouldn't take long for that to destroy the belt. The pulley seizing up or being difficult to turn is caused by a bad bearing in the accessory.

For example, say your alternator bearing goes and therefore the pulley that rides in the bearing starts seizing up. The belt will be able to turn the pulley to a point, but the bearing will make a nasty screaching sound as it turns. Eventually, it will seize up to the point that the belt can't turn it anymore and the belt will shred. Then none of your accessories will work, so you'll lose power steering, power brakes, the alternator, air conditioner, etc.
    this makes alot of sense and is the same thing im thinking...but he said he heard knocking. would this cause knocking ?
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    If the belt got caught, it would slam around and make a hellofa racket.

Lets see:
    Squeeling, followed by all of the CELs, followed by lots of noise. Could be a belt. It is the description "banging" that throws me off, plus you would think a broken belt would be noticed and thus this thread would be informatave rather than posted as a question.

I can only hope the OP has popped the hood and looked to make sure everything looks ok visually. Followed by checking fluid levels, and basic stuff like that. I didn't see this mentioned other than "I checked everything out".
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    this makes alot of sense and is the same thing im thinking...but he said he heard knocking. would this cause knocking ?
    It his timing belt went, it could be the valve smacking around on the pistons. I can't imagine a timing belt going at 44,000 miles though.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

im in the same boat as YB and everone else right now... we need more info
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Like I said before, i'm sorry I'm very new to cars, so checking all these things is a bit tough for me. I looked over the engine visually, and cant see anything wrong, but this is to a rookie eye of course.. Where should I look to see timing and serpentine belts? Also, I'm probably going to be bringing the car to a mechanic soon, anyone have any idea for a price estimate?

A shredded serpentine belt would be pretty obvious. The alternator is right at the top in the front of the engine. It sits exactly oposite the IC. There is a flat black plastic cover over the alternator pulley and belt, but you can look under it. The belt extends down from there. If the belt is shredded or even a little damaged, you'll be able to see it right there.

First off you shouldn't have driven the car when you noticed the problems. Hopefully it's your alternator and belt. I had the alternator bearings pop on me once in my old pos chevy and it locked up the belt and killed the car. Luckily I was at the top of a hill and was able to coast into a parking lot during rush hour. Anyways, take the belt cover off and check it out. If the alternator bearings are still good I think you should be able to move the belt with some effort, but can't really recall.
    Last edited by section9; 06-22-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

Quote Originally Posted by section9 View Post
    First off you shouldn't have driven the car when you noticed the problems. Hopefully it's your alternator and belt. I had the alternator bearings pop on me once in my old pos chevy and it locked up the belt and killed the car. Luckily I was at the top of a hill and was able to coast into a parking lot during rush hour. Anyways, take the belt cover off and check it out. If the alternator bearings are still good I think you should be able to move the belt with some effort, but can't really recall.
    You would have to take the belt off to be able to move the pulley. With the belt connected, you'd be working against the crank and therefore compression of the engine. That's not something he'd be able to do with his hand.

No I'm sure you can because I've done it. For some reason even with the tension adjuster fully disengaged I can't get a new belt onto those pulleys just by sliding them on. I have to get one side on first and spin it to get it fully seated. All with my hands. Of course this is with the tension off.

Anyway, Mocci just try to spin the belt before taking it off. What's the harm.
    Last edited by section9; 06-23-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Serpentine belt was it!
    A screw in the alternator came lose and rattled the belt off its pulley, fixed and the cars driving again! Thanks a bunch guys