APS Blow off valve and too much boost question...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on APS Blow off valve and too much boost question... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a 2002 WRX and I have a question about how to lower the boost it's making. I've ...

APS Blow off valve and too much boost question...

I recently bought a 2002 WRX and I have a question about how to lower the boost it's making. I've found lots of great info searching but nothing that would help me lower the boost without a mbc or some type of EM which I haven't found on my car. When I stand on the gas in 3rd or 4th gear when the rpm's get to 4000 or higher the boost will spike up to what my aftermarket Greedy boost meter says is 17-18lbs and the little red warning light comes on. Then the boost drops down a bit to about 16lbs or so. Now I've searched for an mbc but there isn't one there. The car has an aps blow off valve but apart from that and an aps intake there doens't appear to be any other modifications to the vacum/management system. Is this kind of boost dangerous? Should I be worried? I like the power but if there's a way to turn it down to keep the engine safer I'd like to do that. Oh, and how should I adjust the aps blow off valve? Backing the screw out make the car drive slower and louder (PPPiiitttttsssaaaahhhh....Yawn...) , tightening the screw makes it quieter and faster. Any danger to too tight or too lose? Thanks for reading....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00285.JPG   DSC00288.JPG   DSC00289.JPG   DSC00290.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Good question Experts needed

I know everyone is going to tell you to take off the Blow Of Valve but beond that I can't see why your car would be trying to make that much boost. Mobey somone didn't reflash the stock map back to your car or they did and they for got to adgust the wastgate arm back off. I might try and backing it off a few turns to see if it stops the boost from spiking.

Yeah, I'd like to take the BOV off too but I don't have a stock replacement and it will be a little while before I can buy one. I'd like to make the curent setup work for the time being and I'll get to the stock part when I can. There's a big heat shield covering the waste gate adjuster so that would be a tough job..... Thanks for your reply...

I Support ClubWRX
    An OEM BOV is your friend here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOV.jpg  
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    An OEM BOV is your friend here.
    +1. Fuji Heavy Industries makes/includes the best BOV for our cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    +1. Fuji Heavy Industries makes/includes the best BOV for our cars.
    Like this one?

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Like this one?
    Exactly! That's my favorite BOV in the whole world. I'm so lucky to have one. I wish everyone could have that BOV, because it's just so awesome!

Here is an excerpt from the advertisement on it:

"Introducing the FHI 20 PSI BOV. This is the finest BOV available for the Subaru WRX running the stock turbo. If you're boosting less than 21 psi, this is the only BOV you should have on your car. Unless, of course, you like running rich, stalling, and shooting fireballs out of your tailpipe."

I shoot fireballs out of my other tailpipe, but that's mostly to annoy my wife. I can do that with no BOV at all. Just some beer or beans does the trick.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    Exactly! That's my favorite BOV in the whole world. I'm so lucky to have one. I wish everyone could have that BOV, because it's just so awesome!

Here is an excerpt from the advertisement on it:

"Introducing the FHI 20 PSI BOV. This is the finest BOV available for the Subaru WRX running the stock turbo. If you're boosting less than 21 psi, this is the only BOV you should have on your car. Unless, of course, you like running rich, stalling, and shooting fireballs out of your tailpipe."

I shoot fireballs out of my other tailpipe, but that's mostly to annoy my wife. I can do that with no BOV at all. Just some beer or beans does the trick.

All kidding aside, the OEM BOV is the one to use.
    Mods & Pics

You've all given me STOCK BOV ENVY...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.