Random Stalling Issue
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Random Stalling Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My WRX seems to have developed a random stall. It's an '06 with 21k on it. Within the last couple ...

Random Stalling Issue

My WRX seems to have developed a random stall. It's an '06 with 21k on it. Within the last couple of weeks, it has stalled while at idle a total of five times, including twice last night. Most of the time the car idles just fine. Sometimes, however, the idle speed drops down to around 250 rpms or so and then jumps up to 1750, then back to a more normal speed. There doesn't seem to be any warning as to when it does this. I took it to the dealership here in Raleigh this morning to have them look at it. They just called me a minute ago and told me that they couldn't replicate the issue. I'm just wondering if anybody here has had a similar issue or any clue that I could pass along to the dealer so that they can fix it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

"I will say one thing. It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -Mario Andretti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideRex View Post
    My WRX seems to have developed a random stall. It's an '06 with 21k on it. Within the last couple of weeks, it has stalled while at idle a total of five times, including twice last night. Most of the time the car idles just fine. Sometimes, however, the idle speed drops down to around 250 rpms or so and then jumps up to 1750, then back to a more normal speed. There doesn't seem to be any warning as to when it does this. I took it to the dealership here in Raleigh this morning to have them look at it. They just called me a minute ago and told me that they couldn't replicate the issue. I'm just wondering if anybody here has had a similar issue or any clue that I could pass along to the dealer so that they can fix it.
    ummmm warranty work.dont even ask just take it to the dealer.
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

Yeah, it's at the dealer now. It's all being taken care of under warranty. They just called me back saying that they found a similar issue on the mechanic site regarding the throttle management system. He said they ran the fix (which I'm assuming meant flashing the ECU) and it was ready for pickup. Unfortunately, since they couldn't reproduce the problem, I don't know if the issue is resolved or not.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

"I will say one thing. It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -Mario Andretti

A buddy of mine has a 03 WRX wagon, and had the same problem. We checked everything, and it looked great. However, the only think we never bothered checking was intake box. If that is not securely fastened it will make your car have idle trouble, and even stall it.

...and if that isn't good enough....my Toyota Celica GT had the same problem.
    2004 JBP Subaru WRX Rollin On Konig Rims

Blobeye Syndicate #13

stock bov? If so then check for vac leaks of any kind.

The car is bone stock so far as I know. The reflash apparently didn't do any good from what I can tell, given that the car stalled twice today. I'll go downstairs here in a little while and check the airbox. I suppose that the jerks at Jiffy Lube could have screwed that up when I got my oil changed. They seem to take great pride in that sort of thing. Anyway, I'll post up again regardless of what I find.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

UPDATE: I checked to make sure that the airbox was properly seated and all that. Went out driving and it stalled 3 more times on me. I'm still trying to see if I can find any sort of common thread. No luck thus far.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

Update

I took it back to the dealer yesterday to have them take another look at it. As luck would have it, they finally managed to get it to stall, but the laptop didn't catch anything because it was rebooting or something (I didn't really catch this part). Anyway, the service manager decided that he really didn't like not being able to fix this, so he gave me a rental until they get it resolved. He said normally they don't give rentals over the weekend, but he would this time. Not sure if this is typical of Subie dealers, but I thought it was cool of him. Dealer was Southern States in Raleigh, btw. I'll update this again as soon as they find somthing.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

I took it back to the dealer yesterday to have them take another look at it. As luck would have it, they finally managed to get it to stall, but the laptop didn't catch anything because it was rebooting or something (I didn't really catch this part). Anyway, the service manager decided that he really didn't like not being able to fix this, so he gave me a rental until they get it resolved. He said normally they don't give rentals over the weekend, but he would this time. Not sure if this is typical of Subie dealers, but I thought it was cool of him. Dealer was Southern States in Raleigh, btw. I'll update this again as soon as they find somthing.
    ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) UNION SCREW FILTER. IF A ROUGH IDLE AND/OR RPM DOES NOT INCREASE SMOOTHLY THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE UNION SCREW FILTER OF THE ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) COULD BE DAMAGED AFFECTING THE OIL ..............

if they dont find anything tell them to check into that..ive seen one so bad that the car did actually stall..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

I have had some idle issues, it will drop to ~500 then bounce to ~1500 but never stalled, well it did before but that was with a BOv but no more
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    Either a leak or possible a bad IAC?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Your dealership is weird. When they gave me a courtesy car the only major stipulation in the papers I filled out was not to drive outside of a 200 mile radius of the dealership, which is pretty hard to do anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) UNION SCREW FILTER. IF A ROUGH IDLE AND/OR RPM DOES NOT INCREASE SMOOTHLY THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE UNION SCREW FILTER OF THE ACTIVE VALVE CONTROL SYSTEM (AVCS) COULD BE DAMAGED AFFECTING THE OIL ..............

if they dont find anything tell them to check into that..ive seen one so bad that the car did actually stall..
    This sounded good to me, so I took it to the tech at Southern States. He said that he would have checked this, except that they removed this part in the MY06 cars. He said that they were going to clean the throttle plate and return the car to me today. I'll see if they have any more insight when I go back this afternoon.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I certainly hope that they can work this out.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #127
    06 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    This might sound stupid.......But try using your second set of keys.

I have an 06 WRX and I was having this odd no start situation when I put the key in the ignition. It would happen about 1-2 times a day where I would try to click it over a dozen times or so to no avail. For some reason when I would get down and manually actuate the clutch limit switches with my hand then try the key it would start. This went on for a month or more and the subi dealer couldn't find anything.

Finally I swapped out keys just in case there was a built in security comp chip (resistor) or something similar to what GM has that was malfunctioning. It has been a whole week with no delayed starts or failure to starts.

Might be worth a shot and its free.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Another thing that can lead to stalls is a dirty or mispositioned MAF sensor. Its in the intake right after the filter. its got 2 screws holding it in with a bunch of wires. This would cause your issues, possibly...
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.