Great deal on Oil at Autozone
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Great deal on Oil at Autozone within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower full sythetic 5w30 + a Fram Tough Guard filter for .99!! ...

Thumbs up Great deal on Oil at Autozone

I just picked up 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower full sythetic 5w30 + a Fram Tough Guard filter for $17.99!!

Nice deal. They have some special going on...at least at my local 'zone.

I haven't used Synpower before, but I thought I would give it a try for that price.

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hope you haven't put that Filter on yet. Fram's are the worst filter you can get.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    I hope you haven't put that Filter on yet. Fram's are the worst filter you can get.
    The sure grip, and extra guard and double guard are yes. But the TG aren't that bad. The TG are the silver ones that come in the cardboard tube.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...udy-mopar.html
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Are you serious...??

Please don't start that BS in this thread. I have used Fram's my entire life. A certain DSM and Suby tuner had one on a built engine in his shop..that I saw with my own TWO EYES!

There is no hard proof of any ill effects of using Fram filters. Sure, there is x% less surface area in a Fram filter compared to some other filter, and the anti-drain back valve is of this construction compared to this........but there IS NO HARD PROOF.

Anyway...great deal on oil!

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

i usually go with k&n or bosch. k&n mainly just because they have that nut so if it tightens up I don't have to stab it as it's pretty much impossible to get a filter wrench on it. bosch for no particular reason other than they didn't have k&n that day.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    i usually go with k&n or bosch. k&n mainly just because they have that nut so if it tightens up I don't have to stab it as it's pretty much impossible to get a filter wrench on it. bosch for no particular reason other than they didn't have k&n that day.
    I just use a oil filter socket. It was like $4 and works perfectly.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...goryCode=3401A

Also bought one of these but haven't needed to use it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Un.../dp/B000M96RVA
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

that sounds complicated, i'm willing to bet i can probably stab it with a screwdriver and get it off before you've gone and found that thing, the rachet for it to go on, and put it together. simplicity is highly underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I just use a oil filter socket. It was like $4 and works perfectly.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...goryCode=3401A

Also bought one of these but haven't needed to use it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Un.../dp/B000M96RVA
    I've got one of those too. I needed it the first time I changed the filter on the WRX. It was on way to tight to get off by hand, and a filter wrench wouldn't do it either. I got one that fits 2 different sizes just in case. It's pretty quick to use, just fit it on the end of the 3/8" socket you're already out there using, and go to it. Haven't really needed it since the first time though, since I hand tighten it, but I keep it in my tool kit anyway.

I would much rather take the extra minute to grab the wrench and filter thing out of my toolbox and take the filter off the right way than have to deal with the mess, and risk of breaking stuff involved with the screwdriver stabbing.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    that sounds complicated, i'm willing to bet i can probably stab it with a screwdriver and get it off before you've gone and found that thing, the rachet for it to go on, and put it together. simplicity is highly underrated.
    Nope I had to stab my first one to try get it off. Oil went everywhere, took 10 min had to keep getting underneith the car ended up with a huge pair of channel locks.

Take this thing under their along with your plug wrench, done deal, no mess.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I would much rather take the extra minute to grab the wrench and filter thing out of my toolbox and take the filter off the right way than have to deal with the mess, and risk of breaking stuff involved with the screwdriver stabbing.
    +1000

Thats why I keep having to buy tool boxes and my buddys are always comin over to hang out. I figure If I have to use the tool at least once its worth buying.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

well i suppose it depends if you have the car up in the air or not, it probably would be quite the mess if you were trying to lay under the car and do it. on a lift the stabbing procedure is a 15 second maneuver and the filter is off.

I Support ClubWRX
    well i suppose it depends if you have the car up in the air or not, it probably would be quite the mess if you were trying to lay under the car and do it. on a lift the stabbing procedure is a 15 second maneuver and the filter is off.
    I've done it on botha lift and the ground.

Socket is still way easier. Screw driver never goes through on the first stab. Not to mention I have had filters (on customers/friends cars) that were on so tight the stab method wouldn't even work.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

well i keep saying screwdriver but in all reality i use a scratch awl. in any event to each his own, if you want though, we can have an oil change race but i just changed mine so you'll have to wait a month or two.

well i keep saying screwdriver but in all reality i use a scratch awl. in any event to each his own, if you want though, we can have an oil change race but i just changed mine so you'll have to wait a month or two.
    To each his own. I'd rather not race as I like to do it slowly and make sure it all gets done right. Double checking things and what not. If I wanted it done fast and loose I'd just take it to jiffylube.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.