No Oil on Dip Stick?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on No Oil on Dip Stick? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went to Jiffylube to get my oil changed today. The oil change guy came over to me and said ...

No Oil on Dip Stick?

I went to Jiffylube to get my oil changed today. The oil change guy came over to me and said he didn't see any oil on the dipstick. I said, holy crap let me see it, but they already drained my oil.

They suggested a big list of engine flushes and additives to fix the problem...I declined.

I'm pretty sure I'm not burning oil, no smoke out the tail pipe... and I'm sure it isn't leaking because there is no oil makes in my garage.

No check engine lights came on and I didn't notice anything different in the driving.

The only thing I can think of is they didn't put enough in last time they changed my oil or the guy didn't read the dipstick right.

Or, they were trying to scam me into buying all those extra things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that's bogus. If there was no oil on the dipstick more than likely you wouldn't have even made it to JL in the first place.

I stay away from places like that. They try to get the most out of you every time you go for an oil change. In my eyes, JL are a bunch of scammers. Check this video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
    Stage II and loving it!

You may have been a quart low and since you drove there they probably checked it while it was still hot. I had this issue once when I was driving to a dyno session (about a 15 minute drive on back roads). Before they put it on the rollers, I asked them to check the oil because I had a feeling it was low. They waited about 20 minutes, checked and it wasn't registering on the dip stick. We waited another 10, still no oil, so I added a quart. It was enough to get to the full line...

Or they were just outright trying to scam you. This is the reason I change my own oil.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt- View Post
    I went to Jiffylube to get my oil changed today.
    Bad idea.

They suggested a big list of engine flushes and additives to fix the problem...I declined.
    Good idea.

I'm pretty sure I'm not burning oil, no smoke out the tail pipe... and I'm sure it isn't leaking because there is no oil makes in my garage.
    Since you have a garage, you can be more than pretty sure, you can be certain next time. Get more familiar with the car. Grab a flashlight and look around from the top of the motor bay and then get underneath too -- safely though, do not lift the car, just slide under with the car simply parked. Learn every bit of smudge in the bay and figure out where it came from.

The only thing I can think of is they didn't put enough in last time they changed my oil or the guy didn't read the dipstick right.

Or, they were trying to scam me into buying all those extra things.
    Or both, or neither. You could go through 1 L of oil per oil change and it would be normal. I've used up to ~600 ml on occasion. Figure out your use patterns and accommodate them. Always check on level ground -- ideally, the same spot each time -- and pick what motor temperature you'll check at. I picked stone cold. Check once a week and figure out the pattern. If you change oil brands, the pattern will be different. If you change use patterns, the pattern will be different. Write stuff down if you have to; I admit I do have to since I'm scattered and I have more than one car to deal with.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I went to Jiffy lube once.

NEVER AGAIN. I got a CEL right after.

It was a missfire on a cylinder. I had to take it to the dealership because I was in expiranced on giting to the coil pack. The dealership plugs it in three days later and im out 300$

the dealership says that on their turbo charged cars they say 1 quart per 1000 miles is the most they recommend before getting it checked!

the turbos on subarus stock eat oil slowly

wow stuff like that makes me never go to mechanic shops besides dealerships and performance shops that i know the people there.

and i always try to do the job myself first..
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2.5 93OCT- 12.9 SEC @ No Problem Raceway
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by hakira View Post
    wow stuff like that makes me never go to mechanic shops besides dealerships and performance shops that i know the people there.

and i always try to do the job myself first..
    + 1 me too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

well first off let me start by saying ive been a subie tech for 8 years..and im not a trunk monkey that looks to void warrenties or drain your pockets by not helping out with info..but if they werent trying to screw you and were not lying then i would do the following..the wrx and all subies are known for front cam and crank seals leaking..on the wrx model the exhausht manifold actually catches the oil on the heat shield and burns it off without any sign of smoke coming from under the hood.. reach down on the bottom of the timing covers and see if you have any oil leakage..check the whole bottom..make sure its cold when you do it the manifold doesnt feel so nice if u bump when hot..other then that they dont like to leak oil... as far as burning oil u should see it under heavy throttle ..have someone rev it up see if it puffs out the exhaust..if not then its pretty safe to say they tried screwing you

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post
    well first off let me start by saying ive been a subie tech for 8 years..and im not a trunk monkey that looks to void warrenties or drain your pockets by not helping out with info..but if they werent trying to screw you and were not lying then i would do the following..the wrx and all subies are known for front cam and crank seals leaking..on the wrx model the exhausht manifold actually catches the oil on the heat shield and burns it off without any sign of smoke coming from under the hood.. reach down on the bottom of the timing covers and see if you have any oil leakage..check the whole bottom..make sure its cold when you do it the manifold doesnt feel so nice if u bump when hot..other then that they dont like to leak oil... as far as burning oil u should see it under heavy throttle ..have someone rev it up see if it puffs out the exhaust..if not then its pretty safe to say they tried screwing you

Thanks!

sti oil check

from what i know, when you check oil from a turbo charge car, the car need to be running. the engine needs to be running when checking oil for your subies. this is what i learned. tell me if im wrong. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subarutech View Post

i heard the engine should have just been ran!!!!

but bout the same!!!

its cause u wan to have the pan full along witht the rest of your engine full at the same time including your turbo!!

diy problem solved.
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

/\/\/\ i second that motion
    Billy
    352whp 365ftlbs P-R-E tuned
    12.32 @ 110mph (old dyno numbers 315/341)

Quote Originally Posted by kingsdman View Post
    from what i know, when you check oil from a turbo charge car, the car need to be running. the engine needs to be running when checking oil for your subies. this is what i learned. tell me if im wrong. thanks
    no..you dont want the car to be running..you want it off..if its running then the oil will be all over the engine instead of inside the pan ..if it was running you would get a low reading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast