checking oil
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on checking oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi i am a new member i have recently purchased a 2001 subaru impreza wagon wrx, does anyone know what ...

Question checking oil

hi i am a new member i have recently purchased a 2001 subaru impreza wagon wrx, does anyone know what type of oil i should put in it and do you check the oil the same as any other car (do you leave it sitting cold to check dipstick?) cheers kaney

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes you do. check when its cold

o yea. use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil

I let the car run for a little bit before checking the dip stick, let it run through for a minure or 2, but that may just be me
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Check it running, on a hill.

Ok, really. It doesnt matter a huge bit warm or cold as long as its near the full mark. If it has been running, let it sit for a few minutes to let the oil drain back into the crankcase for an accurate read. FYI, the space between full and add is usually one quart.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Check it running, on a hill.

Ok, really. It doesnt matter a huge bit warm or cold as long as its near the full mark. If it has been running, let it sit for a few minutes to let the oil drain back into the crankcase for an accurate read. FYI, the space between full and add is usually one quart.
    it does actually. you don't check it while its warm. For Example after you drove your car for a long time and shut it off, pull the dip stick. that will give you an inaccurate reading. its better cold.

this is what i do when i change my oil. Change oil + filter, put in new oil, make sure everything is tight. Run the car for about 1 minute. shut it off, check the level.

Quote Originally Posted by pTx415 View Post
    it does actually. you don't check it while its warm. For Example after you drove your car for a long time and shut it off, pull the dip stick. that will give you an inaccurate reading. its better cold.

this is what i do when i change my oil. Change oil + filter, put in new oil, make sure everything is tight. Run the car for about 1 minute. shut it off, check the level.
    Make sure you have someone else shut it off so you can pull the stick right when the crank stops turning, right?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

When we are saying check it while its warm no one meant go run at the track on a 105 degree day then check it, i meant run it for a minute or 2 then check it
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    When we are saying check it while its warm no one meant go run at the track on a 105 degree day then check it, i meant run it for a minute or 2 then check it
    Nobody said it, but I will

go run at the track on a 105 degree day then check it

when I change my oil I put 4.5qts in, turn it on for a minute or 2 so the oil goes into the oil filter, then I top it off at full.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Make sure you have someone else shut it off so you can pull the stick right when the crank stops turning, right?
    okay.....

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    well its implied! who knows what "warm" means to ppl. could be running for 1 hour, shut it off, and check it. btw. runing it for 1 minute, won't make it warm.

chechking oil

thanks 4 replies im sorted now new scooby owner just learning!!! cheers

checking oil

thanks 4 replies im sorted now new scooby owner just learning!!! cheers

well hang out here a bit longer and we'll get you unsorted

Quote Originally Posted by pTx415 View Post
    Hot or cold it really makes no difference as long as the oil has had sufficient time to drain back into the pan. If you shut off the car after driving it and you immediately check the level, you will still have have oil that has yet to make it into the pan.

Hence:
    It doesnt matter a huge bit warm or cold as long as its near the full mark. If it has been running, let it sit for a few minutes to let the oil drain back into the crankcase for an accurate read.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Run it until your temp gauge gets to where it sits when you drive it. Go home and shut the car off and let sit for 5 mins. Then go check your oil level after all the oil has gone back into the pan.

At that point it should be in between your 2 dots.

FYI, oil expands when it heats up. If you fill it to 4.8 quarts cold, it will look like over 5.5 quarts warm. That's not good.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.