Transmission go "BANG!", amongst other problems...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Transmission go "BANG!", amongst other problems... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have an 07 WRX-TR, with about 2400 miles on it. My situation is unique because i deliver ...

Transmission go "BANG!", amongst other problems...

Hey guys,

I have an 07 WRX-TR, with about 2400 miles on it. My situation is unique because i deliver pizza, so my car gets started about 50 times a day and driven through bad stop-and-go traffic for about 8 hours a day.

Well, yesterday i was driving back to the store and I went to shift out of third gear to neutral and there was a huge "BANG!" from the transmission. No noises afterword, or weird behavior from the car, just the bang.

It drove fine on the way back and the rest of the night, except i started noticing that my clutch pedal clicks three times on release. The clicks are loud enough to hear and feel.

and problem three only happened once, but when i started the car there was a crazy grinding noise, and it didnt start. i freaked out for a minute, then tried again and it started fine.

thanks in advance for the help, i'm sure you guys can help me more then the tech i talked to yesterday...

Me: "There was a loud bang when i shifted and my clutch is clicking."
    Subie tech: "uh... that sucks. I guess you shouldnt drive it."
    Me: "Well, should i drive it to you guys? or get it towed?"
    Subie Tech: "should be cool if you drive it here. I don't know..."
    TIP YOUR DELIVERY DRIVER!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing you need to do is buy a '91 Corolla to deliver pizza in.

Second, does the transmission do or not so anything else besides the clutch clicking?

I'm wondering if you were just a little lazy with the clutch and you popped the engagement pawls out from that gear. It's not great but it usually doesn't hurt much.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

the transmission seems fine. the only other problem i've noticed is the clutch "click."

I'm usually pretty deliberate with my clutch control because its a new car and i dont relly have time to go to the shop because of stupid mistakes. Plus i've been still trying to follow safe breakin guidelines as i have no real reason to race the car, heh.

to justify myself real quick as well, I bought the car because i WAS driving a 95 mercury tracer which became a money pit real quick. the pizza delivery thing is just quick money for a short term employment, it is by no means my "career". Having a warranty, though, was my main reason for purchasing a new car, and I've always wanted a wrx. So it made sense, you know?

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to the dealer.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Take it to the dealer.
    Thats what i'm doing. Of course, they cant look at it until tomorrow. Until then i'm just sitting on the forums trying to learn as much as i can on my unexpected days off, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Take it to the dealer.
    agreed.

might not be the tranny. might be something to do with the clutch fork or something in that assembly.

if it was the tranny, you would have more than clicks
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    Me: "There was a loud bang when i shifted and my clutch is clicking."
    Subie tech: "uh... that sucks. I guess you shouldnt drive it."
    Me: "Well, should i drive it to you guys? or get it towed?"
    Subie Tech: "should be cool if you drive it here. I don't know..."
    Roadside assistance.

Why risk driving it, when Subaru will tow it for free
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Roadside assistance.

Why risk driving it, when Subaru will tow it for free
    wow... i thought the same thing until today.

When i called Subaru Roadside Assistance, they informed me that "my service contract had been cancelled." I flipped out for about 10 minutes, considering its an 07 with 2400 miles. I called the dealership and they informed me that cancelling the basic 3 year warranty is "impossible." Finally a Roadside Assistance supervisor helped me get a tow.

They said 1 hour, and it took 3.5 hours. Apparently, the SUV attached to the back of the truck was in park and the guy drove down my street with the back tires screeching the whole way, heh. I hope my car is in one piece...

Just to let you know a Subaru should only be towed on a flatbed....

Hope thats what they used.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    Just to let you know a Subaru should only be towed on a flatbed....

Hope thats what they used.
    they did. The guy wouldn't have put my car on the flatbed unless i said something though. Thank god i did.

I've still not received a call from the dealership verifying that my car did in fact make it up there.

plz update the thread when u hear sumthing bro. I have a 07 WRX and im curious to hear what the problem is/was?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiTe_07_WRx View Post
    plz update the thread when u hear sumthing bro. I have a 07 WRX and im curious to hear what the problem is/was?
    I just heard back from the dealership. Apparently on their 12 mile test drive of the car, they could not replicate my problems. The next course of action is for me to pick up the car and tell them if it "happens again."

Kind of what I expected, but i'm not looking forward to it "happening again." heh

Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    I just heard back from the dealership. Apparently on their 12 mile test drive of the car, they could not replicate my problems. The next course of action is for me to pick up the car and tell them if it "happens again."

Kind of what I expected, but i'm not looking forward to it "happening again." heh
    While you're sitting at idle in neutral, do you still hear the clicking? If so, does it go away if you put some pressure on the clutch?
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    While you're sitting at idle in neutral, do you still hear the clicking? If so, does it go away if you put some pressure on the clutch?
    The clicking has become more of a creaking. like an old barn door. it creaks upon release of the clutch pedal, after the clutch point. it's becoming VERY irritating.

subie tech here..and ive seen that problem before..what you need to do is have them check your pilot bearing fork...i seen one break before.or the throw out bearing seat broke off one side..i actually take the time to diag rather then use the no problem found cop out.you might even be able to see the throw out bearing fork twist when the clutch is applied , or disengaged ..you will prob notice your clutch is a little stiffer then before ..the grinding noise you heard 1 time was the piece of the fork or throw out bearing getting ground to dust inside the bell housing..if continued to be drivin you prob going to get a chattering under load and you will need to replace the flywheel/clutch disc/and pressure plate..i suggest you bring it to the dealer and tell the service manager you are going to contact subaru of america if they dont get the lazy tech to actually diagnose the vehicle

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.