Fuel Gauge acting screwy

This is a discussion on Fuel Gauge acting screwy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After I got into a minor "cosmetic damage" accident this past winter, my fuel gauge has been acting screwy . ...

Registered User pandasaurus_rex's Avatar

Fuel Gauge acting screwy

After I got into a minor "cosmetic damage" accident this past winter, my fuel gauge has been acting screwy. First, it was only registering 3/4 when the tank was full. Then about 4 months later, It was registering full. Then, at about 330 miles on the tank, it was still reading a quarter. I decided to go to the nearest gas station and basically coasted to the pumps on fumes. I just don't understand that happened and I know the accident was the cause, because it was acting fine right up until then. Anyone ever hear of this? Please help!!
    Sports Car Club of Vermont #50

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

where was your car hit? it may be a bad ground or the fuel level indicator going bad
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Registered User pandasaurus_rex's Avatar
    Driver's side body panels. When I went off the road I was doing about 55mph so it was a rough ride till i stopped. Could be grounding issues. Come to think, my clock on the center dash doesn't light up until about a minute or two after I start the car. Another weird thing it does.
    Sports Car Club of Vermont #50

who did the body repair? you or a shop? pull back the fender liner on that side and look around for a wire that's not connected... i'll check the FSM for the fuel gauge and clock sharing a ground...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox