Effect of ethanol and isopropanol on NOx?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Effect of ethanol and isopropanol on NOx? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've read the older threads on emissions, including one thread where PlatinumWRX dropped to a 87 octane / 91% isopropanol ...

I Support ClubWRX

Effect of ethanol and isopropanol on NOx?

I've read the older threads on emissions, including one thread where PlatinumWRX dropped to a 87 octane / 91% isopropanol mixture to pass testing. My questions are still unanswered though, so I'd appreciate any info:

What is the effect of ethanol on NOx? How about HC?

What is the effect of isopropanol on NOx? How about HC?

If a vehicle's EGR is functioning and it seems the cat may be marginal (NOx is just over the limit and the EGR is tested OK), will adding either ethanol or isopropanol to the fuel reduce NOx? Will either simultaneously increase HC or other emissions? Any ratios recommended?

Motor is Toyota 5S-FE and must meet CA 93 emissions.

Thanks!
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bumping my own thread with thoughts...

My suspicion is that alcohols with more carbons that methanol or even ethanol will actually increase NOx emissions while lowering HC but I'm unsure. Anybody?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

bump i wanna know the answer too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Morning bump for combustion experts?

Banned
    This thread takes me back to the cemistry days 2 semesters ago. Are you runing methonal already and are unsure how to pass with that sort of set up? This is some interesting stuff, but it is kinda over my head. Stokiometric combustion equation is needed, which could be real nasty with the addition of gasoline to the mix, but I have no idea. What is HC?

acording to this http://www.e85fuel.com/whatsnew/NRDC...udy%204-07.pdf
    Ethanol (E85) will lower NOx by about 30% but raise the hydrocarbon emissions by 22%. im not to sure about isopropanol. the only difference between ethanol and isopropanol is the location of the alcohol group.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    What is HC?
    Abbreviation for Hydrocarbons. In this case, more specifically Hydrocarbon chain emissions, usually raw, unburnt fuel.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you runing methonal already and are unsure how to pass with that sort of set up? What is HC?
    No methanol. Unmodded stock normally aspirated motor running summer mix CA 87 octane fuel. The NOx readings are marginal and I'm trying to see if there's an additive that'll help pass testing. The EGR system is functioning and I've changed the sensors used by EGR for manifold temperature and vacuum, plus vacuum lines. The mani runners seem clean and all seems well but NOx is up there.

I suspect the cat may be on its way out after 14 years and 200k miles but if I can squeeze by, it'll buy me some time to replace the cat vs. having to do it right now and not being able to shop around much etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy View Post
    acording to this http://www.e85fuel.com/whatsnew/NRDC...udy%204-07.pdf
    Ethanol (E85) will lower NOx by about 30% but raise the hydrocarbon emissions by 22%. im not to sure about isopropanol. the only difference between ethanol and isopropanol is the location of the alcohol group.
    Thanks. The 2 alcohols differ in the number of Cs also, and I suspect isopropanol will raise HC more than EtOH as a result but am unsure. Also, E85 is I believe >~80% EtOH. Now, from what you say, one option might be to run a gallon of it plus some "normal" fuel in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Abbreviation for Hydrocarbons. In this case, more specifically Hydrocarbon chain emissions, usually raw, unburnt fuel.
    Exactly. Do higher octane fuels raise or lower combustion temperatures? I'd want them lower for lower NOx from what I understand, but higher for lower HC. I can deal with somewhat higher HC if it drops NOx.

Thanks for all replies, and any ideas always welcome. More?

Banned
    Carbon ends up in alot of stuff. I have probably helped build like 30 Ethanol (E85) tanks this year at my job. We make big storage tanks for future refinment of the stuff. I never kenw you could run a car off of it. Do you see gains from doing somthing like this? HOw bout a tax write off,LOL.

I Support ClubWRX
    Carbon ends up in alot of stuff. I have probably helped build like 30 Ethanol (E85) tanks this year at my job... I never kenw you could run a car off of it. Do you see gains from doing somthing like this? HOw bout a tax write off,LOL.
    The gains are substantial if you're a farmer...

I'll look around for some E85 in my area if nobody has other suggestions, and see how it goes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Thanks. The 2 alcohols differ in the number of Cs also, and I suspect isopropanol will raise HC more than EtOH as a result but am unsure. Also, E85 is I believe >~80% EtOH. Now, from what you say, one option might be to run a gallon of it plus some "normal" fuel in the tank.

Exactly. Do higher octane fuels raise or lower combustion temperatures? I'd want them lower for lower NOx from what I understand, but higher for lower HC. I can deal with somewhat higher HC if it drops NOx.

Thanks for all replies, and any ideas always welcome. More?

To my knowledge, octane doesn't affect combustion temperature...

BTW E85 is 85% ethanol.

I would say the gallon or 2 of E85 into a tank of fuel is a pretty reasonable idea
    Last edited by devilfluff; 06-13-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks all!

I Support ClubWRX

Doh!

Apparently, as of 2006, the number of stations in CA that sold E85 was... one. Yes, 1.

If nobody knows where that station is/was, I think I'll add ethanol to the tank on my own.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Apparently, as of 2006, the number of stations in CA that sold E85 was... one. Yes, 1.

If nobody knows where that station is/was, I think I'll add ethanol to the tank on my own.
    I can find 4 in CA, but only one that is open to the public. Its in San Diego.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks, I saw that. If I'm not down there any time convenient I'll add raw alcohol to the tank and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.