oil level frustrations
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on oil level frustrations within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I checked my oil the other day when I was filling up and it wasn't even touching the low ...

oil level frustrations

So I checked my oil the other day when I was filling up and it wasn't even touching the low mark on the dipstick. I didn't really worry too much because I've read on here that the dipstick is not the most accurate and the car was warm. So I checked it the next morning and it was still below the low mark. So I put in a quart of oil. Now when I check it the oil is way above the full mark. I wipe it off and check again and it's at the perfect level. But the first check it's always way above the full mark. Do you think I overfilled it? Should I be worried?
    04' WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car hot or cold? Checking on a level surface?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    From what you wrote it sounds like you're not wiping the dipstick before checking it. When you first pull it out, you gotta wipe it off. Don't worry about where the oil mark is. Stick it back in, pull it back out, THEN take that reading. Also, like 302@12psi asked, make sure its on a level surface. It's also a good idea to check it when the engine is warm but make sure it's been sitting for a few minutes before checking it so the oil has time to settle. Keep in mind that you have a turbo charged car & you should check your oil more frequently to keep the oil at a normal operating level.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Is the car hot or cold? Checking on a level surface?
    I checked it cold this morning on a level surface. The first read it was over the full line by an inch or so. I wiped it off and checked it again and it was right at the full line. So do I believe the first read or the second read?
    04' WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drive4fun View Post
    I checked it cold this morning on a level surface. The first read it was over the full line by an inch or so. I wiped it off and checked it again and it was right at the full line. So do I believe the first read or the second read?
    second read.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The second reading, like I said ^^.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Thanks guys. I figured the second read was right, but it scared me when I saw all that oil on the first read after I had let it sit all night. It just seemed different than it usually does and it freaked me out.
    04' WRX

Quote Originally Posted by drive4fun View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured the second read was right, but it scared me when I saw all that oil on the first read after I had let it sit all night. It just seemed different than it usually does and it freaked me out.
    Now you know & knowing is half the battle!
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

This is somewhat of a hijack, but along the same lines. I have a Civic as my daily driver and it takes 5w-20 weight oil. That stuff is pretty tough to see on a dipstick, and it's so thin that it actually runs down the dip stick as I'm trying to read it. It's kind of tricky getting an accurate read.

All subies use 5w-30 as far as I know, so that shouldn't be an issue with them.

i have the same problem

seems to me almost everything is fine with the rex except for this problem time and time again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I've had the exact problem so i make sure I do the oil change myself(I use full synthetic mobil1). Its just naturally tricky but u have to keep in mind that too much oil is more dangerous than too little. This problem seemed to be solved by testing it repeatedly after driving to different locations(piss me off). But when ur driving at a constant 120 its important to check.

Another thing to make sure you do if you change your own oil is to make sure you run the car a little before doing the final check. When you put on the filter, the filter is empty, so if you check the oil prior to the first start up, the filter doesn't have a chance to fill with oil. So after you fill the car with oil, check it to make sure it's full, then start it and run it for a minute or so, then shut it down and let it sit for a minute or 2, then check again, and it should be a good bit lower than before. Top it off, and you're good. I hadn't been doing that, and was getting freaked out a little because it always ended up reading low.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.