new noise for the wrx? how many are there?

This is a discussion on new noise for the wrx? how many are there? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i previously had a nice long, detailed explaination and description of the noise but it got deleted before I could ...

Question new noise for the wrx? how many are there?

i previously had a nice long, detailed explaination and description of the noise but it got deleted before I could post it. so i'll just get to the point. I recently, and proudly purchased (my) first car a 2005 wrx (ej20) a day later it started making or i started noticing a strange noise it will sometimes happen when i start it no condition restraint just kinda random on the start up but it also makes the same noise while slow acceleration around 3k-4.5k rpm noise is only consistent with the slow rpm rise, speed makes no difference although road noise covers it up at high speed. The funny part of this is it will not make the noise when slowly reving the engine at the same 3k-4.5k rpm in neutral, but will when i start it i will also let you know i have done weeks of research being a young local mechanic that is alot of time to obtain no close solution. Also a problem that happened at the same time was a short ram intake problem that consisted of a large k&n open filter and a MAS adapter it looks exactly like the Turbo XS short ram, but kept throwing codes (running lean,misfire 1-2-3-4) when i first mentioned it to the dealership they told me the previous owner must have remapped the ecu because the computer was set to run lean when i got it back it was throwing same codes except it was running rich go figure. I put the stock assembly + k&n drop in and gp moto intake silencer delete (which by the way doesnt sound any diff than stock) havent had a problem! so my only concern is that sound which makes me not so proud of my new car. also to note i have done a through visual inspection and the only current mod other than intake is a perrin intercooler hose kit, but looks as if there were other mods installed by 1st owner like turbo back exhaust, b/c the a/c drain hose is melted the turbo heat sheild is missing! any help or opinions will be appreciated and taken into consideration! thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    can you tell where it's coming from? is it like a metal to metal vibration? pull the console off and see if maybe the shifter is or has been adjusted. my short throw will occasionally make a noise in certain gears at slow RPM rise. if it only happens under certain loads, i would venture a guess that its harmonics. just something vibrating somewhere. check all of your motor and tranny mounts, and your exhaust hangers. i hope you get it figured out, it's the little things that bug the hell out of you.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

the noise sounds to be coming from under the hood on the mid driver side. I have checked everything exhaust heat sheilds and none of those are the problem to my knowledge. the thing that has me confused is it will not do it when i rev the car out of gear at any rev speed. so it gives me the relief that it my not be the engine. but it will do it when i start the car in or out of gear, which would make me think it is not the tranny. all of this is making it extremely hard for me to diagnose. I just need a good starting point. i will try and check the shifter adj. just to make sure/avoid a noise to come. thanks

p.s. all maintenance has been done and done correctly. (oil, antifreeze, spark plugs ect)

Does the noise occur in every gear, or just certain gears?

I Support ClubWRX
    have you tried turning up the radio or reving harder i find that drowns out alot? --sorry a lil light humor
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

haha yeah the last comment was funny I did have 2 15" in the back that drounded out everything even tire squeal, but those are currently out of the car and up for sale they are kicker's. they are very loud and will blurrr your vision just to warn anyone if anyone is interested in them. but yes the noise happens in every gear at slow & steady acceleration. took it to the dealer today and i have to take it back on monday and would like to find it on my own or atleast have a better idea what and where it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    1. What octane gas do you fill up with and where?
    2. Does it make the noise with the clutch in?
    3. Is your oil filled all the way up?
    4. Is your refrigerator running?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

1. What octane gas do you fill up with and where? 93 octane, shell
    2. Does it make the noise with the clutch in? yes, when starting
    3. Is your oil filled all the way up? yes, it is at the full mark
    4. Is your refrigerator running? no, i cut the leg's off it got tired of chasing it