Intercooler Water Spray Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Intercooler Water Spray Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I tried to find the answer to this question elsewhere on the site but was unable to. I'm sure this ...

Talking Intercooler Water Spray Question

I tried to find the answer to this question elsewhere on the site but was unable to. I'm sure this is a repost, sorry.

I just bought an 05 STI two weeks ago and understand that the IC water spray is used to cool down the intercooler so the intercooler is able to cool the air down more before it gets to the engine. My question is, when should I use the water spray? What symptoms should I look for? And how long should I hold the button down?

Thanks a lot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    I tried to find the answer to this question elsewhere on the site but was unable to. I'm sure this is a repost, sorry.

I just bought an 05 STI two weeks ago and understand that the IC water spray is used to cool down the intercooler so the intercooler is able to cool the air down more before it gets to the engine. My question is, when should I use the water spray? What symptoms should I look for? And how long should I hold the button down?

Thanks a lot
    If you are in stop and go traffic and figure you'll want to punch it soon use the sprayer. In between passes at the track or Auto-x would be idea also.

The button on my car only uses it for 2-4 seconds or something like that. So holding it doesnt matter. You could I guess press it over and over but water is only going to cool it so much.

I've tried to use it several times and have never really noticed a HUGE difference. I lump it into the "oh that's cool" options the car came with.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Give it a couple shots a few blocks before, parking. To keep heatsoak down on hot days. If you think you will want to get on it after starting up.

Give it a couple of shots after just starting, if engine has been running and parked less that 1 hour. If you think you will want to get on it.

Give it a couple of shots 1 minute, and a couple more about 30 sec. before you think you are going to get on it. While driving around in "normal" but light trafic flow.

Give it a couple of shots about 30 sec. before you are going to get on it on the highway, tho highway driving should get the IC as cold as it's going to get,... so not much gain there...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.