replacing seals

This is a discussion on replacing seals within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone know how to replace the valve stem oil seals or head gaskets on a 2005 WRX?? any links ...

replacing seals

does anyone know how to replace the valve stem oil seals or head gaskets on a 2005 WRX?? any links or step by step procedure? any help is appreciated. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You realize you have to pull the whole engine and tear it down to the shortblock, right?
    Last edited by Timdog1650; 06-05-2007 at 08:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe "head" should read "valve cover" though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

oh this sucks! cuz my exhuast sometimes has blue smoke come out from the tailpipe when i get on it. and someone told me it could be the valve stem seals.

By any chance does this person own a Supra or car powered by a 2jz? It's more than likely just that you're running really rich and the fuel is coming out of the tailpipe in solid, black particulate.

it is running rich....no cats and an atmospheric BOV. no black stuff tho??

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian_WRX View Post
    it is running rich....no cats and an atmospheric BOV. no black stuff tho??
    If concerned about your valve stem seals (which personally, I wouldn't be) then monitor your oil level every hundred miles. If you have leaky valve stem seals, it's not the end of the world, but you will (or at least should) notice a decrease in your oil level. If you keep noticing the smoke as well as a decrease in oil level, then I would recommend taking it to a Subaru dealership or a Subaru specific shop to have them possibly diagnose the problem further.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet a pretty substantial chunk of $$ that your problem is just that you're running STUPID rich and the smoke is really just exhaust with unburnt hydrocarbons in it.

being catless can do that?? last time i checked the oil it was a little low but not very, cuz it was 5k miles && i need to change it

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian_WRX View Post
    being catless can do that?? last time i checked the oil it was a little low but not very, cuz it was 5k miles && i need to change it
    Yes, of course, if you had a car that wasn't black you'd be complaining about having to clean all the soot off your tailpipe and bumper every time you wash your car. Being catless with a full atmospheric BOV you will definately see smoke coming out your tailpipe under WOT. It's unburnt fuel. Monitor your oil level for like 600 miles and report back. Don't beat on it unless you have to.

okay. thanks for your help!