Reset ECM just for cat-back?

This is a discussion on Reset ECM just for cat-back? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just ordered the SPT catback. It came with a little sheet of paper that says i should reset my ...

Reset ECM just for cat-back?

I just ordered the SPT catback. It came with a little sheet of paper that says i should reset my ECM after installing a "performance part" ....i guess they mean such as this exhaust. Is it really necessary to do this for just installing a Catback? I have no other mods on the car at all. Wouldn't the ECM eventually "learn" the the exhaust, etc in time anyway?

thanks all...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    I just ordered the SPT catback. It came with a little sheet of paper that says i should reset my ECM after installing a "performance part" ....i guess they mean such as this exhaust. Is it really necessary to do this for just installing a Catback? I have no other mods on the car at all. Wouldn't the ECM eventually "learn" the the exhaust, etc in time anyway?

thanks all...
    If it says to reset it, do it. Either way you arent going to get any performance gains from a Cat-back so dont worry. You will just get noise.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I'm not looking for any performance gains, just the nice growl to hear my engine better when driving. Thats why i figured i wouldn't need to reset it with just a simple catback.

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    If it says to reset it, do it. Either way you arent going to get any performance gains from a Cat-back so dont worry. You will just get noise.
    + 1

an ecu reset is pretty easy also so u might as well do it
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    + 1

an ecu reset is pretty easy also so u might as well do it
    very true. It is interesting to learn about the ECU and how it learns your driving style. I think i noticed this effect on my parent's legacy wagon. After months of them driving it unbearably slow, and me coming home on college break and driving it spirited, it felt different at first until it learned my driving style each time.
    Last edited by scenicroadways; 05-30-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    He aut to gain somthing in the way of HP the stock cat back is a peice. I don't know for sure but when I put mine on I thought I felt a gain. Or mabey I was just hearing it. If any thing you got style points for days bro

thanks man! I love it so far. did you reset your ECM when you put yours on?

Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    thanks man! I love it so far. did you reset your ECM when you put yours on?
    I did, but then again I did a dp before the catback. So I did the dp and flashed to stg2, then did the catback a month or so later and reset the ECU.

I think when spt says reset the ECU, all they're really talking about is disconnecting the negative battery terminal, though the more graceful way is with an ap, diagnostic device, etc. connected to your diagnostic port under the dash.