low idle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on low idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2001 with low idle speed. does this indicate a larger problem or can i just set the ...

low idle

i have a 2001 with low idle speed. does this indicate a larger problem or can i just set the idle up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hilld View Post
    i have a 2001 with low idle speed. does this indicate a larger problem or can i just set the idle up?
    We didn't get a 2001 here, so you must be overseas. What is it idling at?

low idle

the idle jumps up to 1000 and it runs fine but sometimes at a stop light it drops to 600 RPMs. it normally runs at around 800

how long has it been doing this ?
    also does this only happen with the ac on ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Welcome to the Club!

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Moving to General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Tutorials
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

low idle

i just bought the car. when i bought it, it was not having this problem. i had the streering rack and an axle changed and now it is having a problem with the idle. i had the idle control valve changed yesterday and the idle still seems low to me. however, it is not cuting out at the stop sign. it idles poorly with the ac on or off. it idles fine in neutral.
    djh

do you have any experience using a DMM? you could check it yourself as the idle actuator is usually easy to get to.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

i have the same problem with 02 wrx and i dont no what to do, mine idles at around 500 my friend's mr2 was doing the same and some mechanic just tightened a spring and it was fixed can u do that to wrx's as well?

low idle

yes i know how to use a DMM. i do not know what or where to check.

i don't know anything about a spring. as you can see, i am not much of a mechanic when it comes to Subaru's. this is my first one. i am sure i will get better.
    djh

Quote Originally Posted by hilld View Post
    yes i know how to use a DMM. i do not know what or where to check.

i don't know anything about a spring. as you can see, i am not much of a mechanic when it comes to Subaru's. this is my first one. i am sure i will get better.
    djh
    i've done it before on my 05 WRX, but it's probably similar to yours. anyway here ya go:

you're looking for the IAC motor right on top of the throttle body. it'll have 3 wires going to it, you want the white one. gently insert a pin into the connector (still connected) at the white wire from the back and push it till you feel it hit metal and stop.

then connect the black lead of the DMM to ground, and the red lead to the pin in the connector on the white wire. with the DMM set to VDC it should read 9-10 VDC at a hot idle. if you have it, use the dutycycle signal triggered low and it'll read about 30%.

if that doesn't match, the IAC is typically attached to the throttle body and easy to see. attach a pic if you can, and we can go from there.
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 06-04-2007 at 01:47 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.