Possible Fuel Pump Problem?

This is a discussion on Possible Fuel Pump Problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i had about a 1/4 tank of gas left in my car, and then all of the sudden the ...

Possible Fuel Pump Problem?

So i had about a 1/4 tank of gas left in my car, and then all of the sudden the gas gauge drops to below the empty sign, I started to think that it was the float, becuase it would then bounce back to how much gas was actually in it. Then this morning i started the car and it did the same thing, only this time, my check engine light came on. A buddy of mine said that it might be the fuel pump and said that it is a common problem with sube's i dont know if it's tru or not, but any help from you guys would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kevbolax26 View Post
    So i had about a 1/4 tank of gas left in my car, and then all of the sudden the gas gauge drops to below the empty sign, I started to think that it was the float, becuase it would then bounce back to how much gas was actually in it. Then this morning i started the car and it did the same thing, only this time, my check engine light came on. A buddy of mine said that it might be the fuel pump and said that it is a common problem with sube's i dont know if it's tru or not, but any help from you guys would be great!
    What was the code the computer was reading? If you don't have a way to read it, autozone will read the code for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    What was the code the computer was reading? If you don't have a way to read it, autozone will read the code for free.

ok, so i went to autozone and the check engine light says "fuel level sensor"
    so my question now is where can i order this part ( i did a quick google search, but no luck) or is this something that is a pain to replace yourself. thanks again for the info!

That sensor is inside the gas tank. I don't know how adventurous you are, but I wouldn't do that myself. I don't have any way to dispose of gas in my garage.

Is the car still under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    That sensor is inside the gas tank. I don't know how adventurous you are, but I wouldn't do that myself. I don't have any way to dispose of gas in my garage.

Is the car still under warranty?

Dang! no its not under warranty any more ( i have 48,000 miles) now im just hoping that its not to expensive to replace